Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Forums Vs. Blogs

Advertisement Placeholder
Why not both with @Bob's amazing UBS Blogs addon?
For some.. it's a cost aversion... they want to minimize their outlay as much as possible.
For others, it's an investment because they don't run their sites with the thought of "turning them for income".
If you own a forum, I would like to know why you decided to build a forum. If you own a blog, why did you decide to start a blog?
Have both... and like playing in both. But I'm more comfortable creating content on a forum so that's what my main site is set up to use. I honestly set the site up primarily for my use.. but have it open so if others want to come play they are welcome to.
The blog is more a personal "family" type one that I post small snippets of my life in.

Both is actually a solid answer as Blogs are generally single (maybe up to a small team) author making long form content and forums are community authors making short form content. Can they be interchangeable? Ya, but forums making long form content make much more sense than a blog trying to make community short forum content (granted, that is actually what a lot of social media is).

Overall, figuring out what meets your project needs should determine the type of site it is on.

I currently have both a blog and a few forums. I felt that a Sonic blog would be better than making a Sonic forum in today's world. There's lots of Sonic forums already well established, and I'm part of them currently. Writing articles about Sonic just works better for me. As for my other projects, forums just fit those niches better. There wasn't a Gex forum online as far as I could see and with Gex Trilogy being announced I felt that it was time to have a Gex community.

I feel fortunate in the fact that I have developed enough skillz through the years to not be limited to the platform on which I decide to build a site. I usually develop my own. That said, something to consider is how you aggregate that content into a search index. In today's algo's user created content is usually downgraded in the indices but with the caveat that blog format will take precedence over forum generated content. Which implies a strategy that can be employed to overcome said algo.

If your platform supports it. Convert well written forum post to "blog like" content which will inturn improve your SEO long term. Furthermore, use the platform to aggregate content to the parent, or primary domain level (eg site pages) so that its not consumed "as" user generated content, which will rank lower in the index.

I realize that might be offtopic somewhat but its an important distinction to make when deciding between the two among the myriad of decisions to make when deciding which software to use for which parts of the domain model as a whole.

Once we can get the XF 2.2.13 upgrade done, I can re-enable the credits system/shop and encourage people to post longer pieces of content with more credit rewards which they can in turn use to earn free access to paid stuff in my community like one-month access to a private game-server.

They can either earn the credits by posting on the site for free, or by spending $5/mo to get access. Their choice either-or.

I own a forum and a blog. My reasons for owning a forum are that I enjoy creating communities and giving people a place to be able to meet new people, chat about what interests them and share and promote their projects as well.

A blog I like owning because it gives me a space to be able to write things and share things that I am interested in. For example, my current blog is a gaming blog and I am a big gamer so that makes sense that I would prefer to write about video games.

I actually prefer forums. I've tried blogs and I really like the interaction that other people bring to a forum that I don't see with blogs. (Of course, right now, my forum is acting more like a blog space since I'm like the only person posting on it... :( )

I actually prefer forums. I've tried blogs and I really like the interaction that other people bring to a forum that I don't see with blogs. (Of course, right now, my forum is acting more like a blog space since I'm like the only person posting on it... :( )
I'm in a similar boat with my site! Hoping more people start joining soon, but we just gotta be patient.

Forums .... unless you are a very popular niche that is not being currently served..... are extremely hard to get traction with. Mine's been up for a while, got decent content on it, have gotten several users signed up... they just don't tend to post. Which to me makes no real difference.
Blogs fit the current web denizen .... that being primarily consisting of consumers of product, not generators of it.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds