Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Forum "Red Flags" or "Icks"

Advertisement Placeholder
If the staff isn't active at all and not contributing to the site it looks bad. Lack of activity, for example if there hasn't been any activity in a week or two also looks bad. Low quality content doesn't look great either, if the content is lacking I wouldn't want to join. The layout and theme can be a deal breaker for me as well.

When I take a look at a forum, the first thing I look for is activity not only from staff but also from how active staff members are as well. I also pay attention to how the staff are and what their attitude is towards the community or even in general around the forum.

I also look at the layout and the theme of the forum as well. If the layout is somewhat messy, has a lot of broken images or does not offer more than one theme for the forum, that tends to be a red flag for me as well.

You can usually tell when looking at a forum whether the staff or owner is serious about it or whether they just open a forum to say that they have one.

When the forum's admin isn't posting regularly in the forum's 'Ask Me' section.

If the 'Ask Me' threads all have 2 replies in (one question, followed by an answer from the OP) - then, that suggests that the forum admin isn't interested in getting to know their members better.

Either make a proper effort to engage with members in the 'Ask Me' section, or don't have an 'Ask Me' section to begin with.

Where I usually don't sign up ...
- main page with extreme long list of forums and subforums
- forums that look like the ones from 15 or 20 years ago
- most sections members only
- annoying disable adblocker messages
- not mobile friendly

This may seem odd, but I always look for a "Who's Online" section. So many modern forums don't have this feature and to me it is invaluable, because it lets me know if there is a small and active community or not.

This may seem odd, but I always look for a "Who's Online" section. So many modern forums don't have this feature and to me it is invaluable, because it lets me know if there is a small and active community or not.
This isn't odd, I'm the same. I'd like to join a semi-active forum and that's why we have enabled the Who was online? and Members online widget for guest viewing. It's always indicating that we have someone online or had quite a few online. I rarely come to AJ alone, there's always one or more people viewing the board.

I mostly look for red flags that are not good at all that I do not join or leave the site after awhile and that being said Bayside is one of those sites with so many red flags that members and people do not stay around long enough. But ways to improve are mostly good content more than anything. what makes people stay is good content and active, you can have a very good-looking theme but doesn't make people stop and join and or become active. Have to agree on many other things also.

1. Default theme with no customization
2. Theme with too much going on in the background/too large of a font/colors that clash on the theme
3. If no one is online, I'll be a bit concerned
4. I will then check to see if there are no recent posts and if there is not much posting other than the admin I might turn away.
5. If I'm able to read posts, if people are mean to one another I'm not going to want to join.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds