Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

For a new business, is it adviseeable to employ family and friends?

For a start up, would you advise he/she accommodates family and friends to cut cost?
I don't think it is really advisable to employ a family member or a friend in your business especially if it is in the start up stage. Mostly family members or friends don't usually take the work serious if you want to advise them, they will saying nonsense. I think it is only advisable to employ them when the business is grown.

Advertisement Placeholder
It depend on the personality of the family member who you want to start the business with, because some family members can do so good in growing your business whole some may not even believe in the idea that will give birth to the business.

You may employ family and friends into few administrative roles but get experienced individuals to head the business and supervisory roles as well, lots of cases where businesses get ruined due to carelessness of family and friends, cases of looting or careless spending as well. For me, i will employ experienced non-family and friends into non-sensitive roles in my businesses.

No it's not good to haire friend,cousins and family members because already there are some personal issue due to which their work will really affect the business dealing and they will act like such bad way.
I think we should avoid adding these people and work our self with more employees

Family and friends can be very ungrateful lots and they may not appreciate the things you do for them
It is smarter to keep them out of your business organization, especially the administrative aspect of the business.

Am a firm believer in separating business from family so i won't be keen on having a family member or a friend be a member of my staff especially when Starting out, this is to avoid complacency and so as not to be bias when am dealing with them.

Well, humanly, this would be the best thing to do. But ... I know that from experience, when money is involved, unfortunately it's not easy to argue, so ruined often relationships between relatives, friends, etc.
Sorry to say, but for my personal knowledge, I would say no.
But this is just my opinion. Anyway, after all sometimes it even happened and everyone agrees.

Hiring your friends and family to help get your small business going can be a good thing. Especially if they are really interested in helping you get it off the ground in the early going and are working for free or for a very reduced wage while you have little or nothing to pay out.

It depends on the arrangement you will be making with your family member sometimes a new business money may not come in for you to pay for staff in this case you can use your family members if they are not interested to request for payment so I think it depends on the arrangement you are doing with your family member but if you have the money for paying staff then you can go and employ someone from outside it depends on your arrangement and your financial capability

Nepotism is favoritism that is granted to relatives in various fields, including business, politics, entertainment, sports, religion and other activities. The term originated with the assignment of nephews to important positions by Catholic popes and bishops.

For a start up, would you advise he/she accommodates family and friends to cut cost?
No. Including family and friends to your business means trouble if you ask me .
Family and friends may not work as much as you which them too.
Also they might take the job with levity which wouldn't be good for output.
Good luck

It would in fact be a tragedy to employ a family member of close friend to your business. Because they would always see reasons to flinch once in a while on a job and because of the closeness ans blood ties you tend to just overlook it. Which tends to happen again and again because they know you wouldn't penalize them. And this totally ruins business.

It's not advicable to employ family members or friends when you start a new business, you can only employ them when the business is standard, compare to when you started the business

If the intention is to cut cost then it's cool,, but you should have it in mind that you might want to tolerate their incompetence and give them preferential treatment which in turn affects the business negative. Just make sure you know how to strike a balance.

if they are capable of practicing what i'm looking for, then yeah why not, you just shouldn't rely only on family when it comes to hiring workers, you should give other people a chance too, as they might be better than your family members in lot of cases

Starting a business can be an exciting but challenging experience. Going into business with your family members or adding someone from your family to your team after you expand can seem like a good idea on the surface since you may feel like you can trust them more and be more comfortable around them.

It is advisable if your family members are qualified and are capable, and also not advisable depending on whether they are with good character despite the fact that they are qualified, you can't just employ any family member into your business that doesn't know any thing about it cause they are family unless you have multiple business. Infact most people would choose not to employ base on some reasons known to them.

If they are trustworthy, I do not see any reason why you shouldn't employ family members and friends. That is even a smart way of ensuring the continuity of the business among your circle and it will guarantee financial Independence for the family easily.

In business, it's not advisable to employ a family member or friends due to the fact that there will be sentiment in discipling the because of family or friendship considerations. They will be treated entirely different from other staffs due the family or friendship connection and this can lead to favoritism at workplace.

employing family members into a start up business is a very difficult decision to make.this may pose a kind of backwardness to the progress of the business as the person(family member) may develop a negligence attitude towards his /her role.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds