Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Facebook groups versus Forums

Beverly

Renowned member
Credits
If you had to do it all over again, would you start a Facebook group instead of a forum? The Facebook group option still lets you have conversations with members at a central location. And, though you can't monetize with Adsense or sell ad space, you can always link to relevant affiliate products. Conversely, opening a forum can give you a sense of pride as it's a place of your own. And, you can customize how you want and even sell ad space. This option costs more, but maybe it's worthwhile considering all the personal benefits associated with forum ownership.

Which one would you choose, Facebook group (to host your forum) or a dedicated forum on your own site?

Advertisement Placeholder
I don't have a Facebook account so my answer is obvious - forums all the way.
I have one, and use it 24/7 xD

Regarding the OP, I would get the forums. With Facebook, although there are lots of users on it, not everyone has one. Like Rihtar above have said himself. I believe you can do a lot more with software that you can run and host yourself rather than Facebook. With that said, you can always have the "Facebook Connect" option for those who do want to connect to your forum faster.

Nope. I think a forum is more insular and provides a better sense of community, whereas a facebook group is kind of samey. I'm on facebook and my forum has a facebook page, but I use it for keeping people updated on the site, not for trying to start discussions.

It might depend on your target audience though.

I prefer to have my own forum, as it feels like my own house. Having a Facebook page is not the same as having your own forum.

You have much more power with a forum and FB doesn't give you as much as power than they should.

I am not a huge fan of facebook groups even though I am in like 10 :p

Yeah, I would much rather have a forum then a facebook group. However, a Facebook group would likely have more members then a forum. And anyone can run a Facebook group!

Yeah, I would much rather have a forum then a facebook group. However, a Facebook group would likely have more members then a forum. And anyone can run a Facebook group!

Yes, more people can run Facebook group better than an actual website.

Not to mention, Facebook groups are free to create.

I have used Facebook groups to sell some of my products recently. It is nice because when I post, almost everyone receives a notification. A lot of people use Facebook daily and get notifications from their phone too.

I have used Facebook groups to sell some of my products recently. It is nice because when I post, almost everyone receives a notification. A lot of people use Facebook daily and get notifications from their phone too.

Yes, that notification part is the best feature of Facebook. When you promote a product on Facebook, your fans are likely to get the notification.

Yes, that notification part is the best feature of Facebook. When you promote a product on Facebook, your fans are likely to get the notification.
Also, this could be a problem because fans who get annoyed from all the notifications will likely turn off notifications leaving you without a way to get their attention.

Also, this could be a problem because fans who get annoyed from all the notifications will likely turn off notifications leaving you without a way to get their attention.

If fans get annoyed, they should not be a fan then. I only follow pages that I am a genuine fan of.

I have a Facebook account myself but given the choice of opening a forum or a Facebook page I would choose forum every time purely because I can do so much more with a forum than I can a Facebook page. Being able to manage a forum as well I feel is alot more easier than a Facebook group or page with thousands of people who could see your page and posts it could lead to a lot of trouble from those who are out to cause trouble rather than help your page out.

I like the way Facebook allows you to advertise your products is great; and if you are the group's owner, you can easily stick your promotions to the top! But i prefer forums. There are more control; and, the Facebook timeline make it difficult to follow discussions on a active group!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds