Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Do's and Don'ts of managing a forum

Blue_Cardinal

Recognized member
Credits
What are your do's and don'ts for managing a forum?

For me, I honestly cannot think of them all. However, some of the main don'ts are:

• Never abuse your power
  • Do not ban people just because
  • Do not copy things from other forums

And I think that's it. :p What are your do's and do nots?

Advertisement Placeholder
  • Make a community you would enjoy if you were a user
  • Don't be too quick to hire staff
  • Don't put a crazy amount of ads on the site
  • Try and get as many people as you can happy
  • Engage your community as much as possible, with contests, giving them topics to talk about, etc.

- Constantly update users on new features
- Add new features
- Add new ranks
- Add new trophy's
- As James said, keep people happy

Yup :p

The most important one I think that most admins forget
- As an admin/founder be an active member of the community and post around frequently

• Use common sense
  • Appeal to the community and not yourself; meaning don't be a selfish brat and do only the things you want to do. :yum:
  • Don't be ban happy, there is a time and a place to whack someone with your shiny new ban hammer. Banning someone = one less member and their friends no longer visiting. Only ban if you seriously think it's the only way to solve whatever issue is at hand.
  • BE HAPPY. :smile: No one likes an admin that's angry all the time.
  • Use emoji's, I mean, this is the internet, if you use a stern face all the time people will start thinking you're a green witch behind a computer screen. Smile every now and then so people know you're approachable and actually human. :wink: :smiley: :smile:
  • ALWAYS answer peoples questions, and be nice about it. You might think something is stupid and they might think it's a legit question. What matters more, a member, or you showing that they're a complete idiot?
  • Be a member. You might be the owner with a colorful username, but you're really a member. Be a member, put yourself in the members shoes. Getting to lost in your imaginary world of hypocrital politics and admin-ness will separate you from your forum and it's members, never good.

Oh, and be yourself and be unique. The forum, and yourself, have to be different and offer things others don't. Do you know how many forums are out there of your same niche? I mean really, slapping a cool name and some boards together is nothing.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds