Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Domain extensions?

Jamiew2510

Renowned member
Credits
Does the domain extension make any difference? If I had a .com would I rank higher than if I had a .co.cc?

Advertisement Placeholder
It depends. Regional domains will rank higher in regional search engines I.e. .co.uk will rank higher than a .com with the same effort applied. Other than that, no. All of the main TLDs are seen as equal. Google hates .co.cc, so I would imagine that it does something negative to sites with that extension... :)

Whether or not search engines notice people do - a dot com is expected to be relevant to everyone - as may be a dot net or dot org or dot biz - but when you get down to country extensions like dot co do uk or dot de the users in that country will often not bother clicking on other extensions as they expect them to limited to the country of the domain extension.

You could go for a free domain here? :) I don't think they mind free .tk domains though....
.tk are worse than .co.cc
Though I know about Google ignoring co.cc, .tk users are effected more by the domain provider itself.
As soon as your site gets popular, they snatch their domain away. You then need to pay for the domain or get a TLD.

If you want your website to rank for a specific country or region then regional domains are the way to go. For everything else use .com, if not available try .net, if this isn't available also, figure out a new domain name.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds