Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Do you try to befriend each member?

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
One way to get a community started or strengthened is to try to befriend your members.

You can try to do this on a "mass scale" where you engage with them all together on the community as a whole. Or you can attempt to engage with them individually one-on-one in direct messages.

One-on-one is said to typically have better results.

What do you think about this sort of thing? Do you try to do this in your community? Why or why not?

What if I told you that not doing this could be why online communities might be declining, according to some people?

Advertisement Placeholder
I think trying to remember information specific to each member and post personalised messages and not just generic ones help to boost that community vibe. And tagging members from time to time (of course, avoid spamming at all costs) if you think a particular member would be interested in a subject.

In essence, include members in the conversation. Make everyone feel welcomed.

If you have a small site or an inactive one, it's probably best to try to befriend everyone who drops on by. I kind of think of it as a business where you wouldn't ignore the stranger off the street, you'd be friendly. If the place is crowded though, you'd have a hard time saying Hi to everyone.
Agreed. Of course my post just above yours doesn't apply to large sites ;)

Agreed. Of course my post just above yours doesn't apply to large sites ;)

In that case, if you have moderators, you should delegate the befriending strategies to them to share.

Create an assignment system for each new member to go into a mentorship pool of a moderator assigned to the pool. They will then befriend the members and work on getting them active.

It's less overwhelming for you and gets your staff more involved in the community.

In that case, if you have moderators, you should delegate the befriending strategies to them to share.

Create an assignment system for each new member to go into a mentorship pool of a moderator assigned to the pool. They will then befriend the members and work on getting them active.

It's less overwhelming for you and gets your staff more involved in the community.
Ideally, but we need to bear in mind that generally speaking, moderation is a volunteer position

Ideally, but we need to bear in mind that generally speaking, moderation is a volunteer position
True. So is admining for the most part - in fact, it's less than volunteering because you spend money to be in that position.

That's always some interesting food for thought.

But as far as that goes, I think it's important to be picky about who you make staff on your forum. You'll want people who are dedicated to making your community as good as you want it to be.

It's why I mainly run my forums solo. I'm really picky.

I get mods are volunteer and they have a life but I want an active staff team that cares about the forum.

Not trying to suck up but someone like @YoYo66 would be my ideal moderator. She is so active at Forum Promotion that she gave up a competing forum to join forces and make the forum great again :) I also worked with her when I was Marketing Lead there. She is just an example.

True. So is admining for the most part - in fact, it's less than volunteering because you spend money to be in that position.

That's always some interesting food for thought.

But as far as that goes, I think it's important to be picky about who you make staff on your forum. You'll want people who are dedicated to making your community as good as you want it to be.

It's why I mainly run my forums solo. I'm really picky.

I get mods are volunteer and they have a life but I want an active staff team that cares about the forum.

Not trying to suck up but someone like @YoYo66 would be my ideal moderator. She is so active at Forum Promotion that she gave up a competing forum to join forces and make the forum great again :) I also worked with her when I was Marketing Lead there. She is just an example.
Admins aren’t expected to spend money? At least as far as I’m concerned. Unless there’s agreement to co-own the forum.

Sometimes you may make one admin just as they have a reputation for being good at something like themes or coding custom add ons, installing add ons, etc

It is a good idea to try to be a friend to all of your members and always remembering to give them respect and time to grow into your community.
It’s great to be friendly with all members. There’s a difference between being friendly and being an actual friend though. There’re only so many friendships we can maintain and they come and go, especially online, with the variety of ppl you interact with :p

Agreed, I always try tag members in convos I believe to be of interest to them.
That's a very good community practice.

Encouraging networking.

If people can make friends on your community, then they'll keep coming back to see their friends.

Sometimes its easier to try to connect others than to befriend everyone like I mentioned in the start of the post.

I think it's important to use a mixture of both at least though.

That's a very good community practice.

Encouraging networking.

If people can make friends on your community, then they'll keep coming back to see their friends.

Sometimes its easier to try to connect others than to befriend everyone like I mentioned in the start of the post.

I think it's important to use a mixture of both at least though.

I agree with this. It's not easy to befriend everyone because there are too many people who don't like others and don't want to see you friends with mr so and so, especially when mr so and so is only there to destroy your site anyway. Stick with the ones you have an easy time chatting with and know aren't going to harm your site. Not everyone is a bad seed, but there are plenty of them out there to beware of.

That's true, you do that :) It's why you're liked and well respected in the industry!
Aww, that means a lot to me. I truly appreciate you saying that :)
Agreed, I always try tag members in convos I believe to be of interest to them.
I find some may not respond to the tags but at least they know they are not just a number.

I agree with this. It's not easy to befriend everyone because there are too many people who don't like others and don't want to see you friends with mr so and so, especially when mr so and so is only there to destroy your site anyway. Stick with the ones you have an easy time chatting with and know aren't going to harm your site. Not everyone is a bad seed, but there are plenty of them out there to beware of.
This is why I highly recommend the ignore feature to members haha

Cliques destroy everything.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds