Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you think Admin should be able to read PMs without permission?

Credits
Do you think Admin should be able to read PMs without permission? First and foremost, I will respond with a resounding NO. Reading without authorization is an infringement of dignity, and PMs might stand for Personal or Private messages. However, there are some circumstances where it's okay to read private messages of other users, for example, if your received a report from a member against another user's PM, that might breach TOS or laws.

Advertisement Placeholder
I respect the privacy of my users. I have disabled access to the admin so that they won't be able to view PM. In case of disputes, would ask them to send a screenshot of the offensive message or post to admin to take necessary actions. All of their Personal messages are safe and secure on my website.

I think snooping into someone's personal or private messages may seem unethical, but there are some important factors that we should not ignore. For instance, in some cases, an admin needs to keep an eye on the activities of the users on their site to avoid any kind of illegal business activity or anything that could be against the law or their policies.

If you receive a report then I think that it is a very important thing to be able to read the message and make sure that there are measures that are put in place in order to try and address the report as well. However, i think that an alert should also be set up for certain key words in the pm messages as well in order to be aware of some messages that may be considered as harmful even before they are reported, including terms of hate speech perhaps.

I think that the most important thing is that people should be aware . You should give an option of if somebody can allow the admins to view their messages or not.

Though it's not good to keep an eye but the certain circumstances will one do such. Thus I think admin should always monitor the PMs of users because of illegal message that might against the law of the websites.

i think that future should only be used when a user is undergoing investigations or when a user has been reported if not, it is an infringement of the right of the users as pm are for personal use.

This shouldn't be allowed in any way. It's a violation of user rights and once discovered will put in danger of legal actions the owners or administrators of the site. Except under extreme conditions like someone stated earlier.

Definitely no with a resounding note. Each and every forum is supposed to maintain it's participants privacy,if an admin is able to break in to individuals information then the word privacy is never to exist

Normally any admin should not read PMs as it's against the person's right and honour. But if it's needful and important for the admin to do, then he can actually do it if it's not in any plan to use against the person

The most crucial thing, in my opinion, is for people to be informed.
Give people the choice of whether or not to allow the administrators to view their messages.

No, I don't think admins/moderators, or anyone in power on a site should be able to look at private messages. Even if it's a part of their site, they have no right to view them.

The only time I would agree is in case of a criminal investigation, or reports from many users complaining about one user. Then maybe it would be okay to view the messages. It's best to get the messages from one of the parties involved in the messages. Such as the recipient.

@Grant , this is also my opinion, i believe that before they can go ahead to read or check your private message, then it should be for a criminal investigation or a report by a follow user on the platform.

No, admins should not be able to read PMs without permission. There's a reason they are called private messages after all. I believe users privacy should always be respected.

Reading PM is absolutely no for me, however, if there are any reports about the PM, I think the admin should read the PM and take necessary actions. However, we also need to be aware that there are people who make unnecessary reports. I have been a victim a couple of times.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds