Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Do you allow members to close their own threads?

Credits
Threads have been exhausted are usually closed for further discussion. It's usually the work of moderators and admin to close them but they seem to miss everything. Do you think it's right to allow thread owners the privilege to close their own threads when they have exhausted as mods missed it?

Advertisement Placeholder
I don't think they need to close their own threads unless it's under a certain circumstance like they have their own "shop" topic and they no longer wish to pursue it, for instance. Even then it's quite simple to PM a staff member to close it or if your software permits it, they can report their own post requesting it to be closed. I think if members had the ability to lock all threads they might go a bit crazy doing so sometimes or it may take away valuable discussions on the board.

I could see like Cory mentioned, a shop topic could be closed as needed if they had that power. I think that could be a good use for it. Regular topics I don't always think the members need to be able to close those, but if they feel the need they can definitely pm a staff member. It'd be cool to offer the power to close in certain areas but not everywhere.

My feelings are that being allowed to close a thread is essentially allowing someone to prevent debate or argument. For example, if someone starts a thread and then doesn't like the response they could then shut the thread. Unless there is rule breaking, I see no benfit to locking threads and not allowing discussions or debate to continue.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds