Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

DNA Testing (Ancestry, 23&Me...etc)

Credits
Have any of you taken a DNA test to find out your history... kind of where you came from? Perhaps relatives? Do you have any interesting stories to tell that begun because of taking these tests? Want to share your results? Let's see them! Anything interesting you've discovered?

My Ancestry results are:
1687096166600.png
23andme Results:
1687096386462.png

What I find interesting is that 23andme can give more specific regions they would think you're from! Quite interesting! I'm reworking on my tree. I've gone back to discover at least to the 1500s-1600'sish. I've learned that any earlier than that is harder because there weren't records that were kept.

My story is super interesting. I did Ancestry YEARS ago. I've always been super interested in family trees and etc. Anyways, I have a thing about gifting Ancestry to those around my for Christmas because I think it's a fun gift honestly lol - especially to those who are also super interested in family trees. I bought my grandma and grandpa a kit. They both waited FOREVER to do it. I got my grandpa to complete it last year some time. She got her results in December. I immediately went to look at our percentages and numbers on how we related... come to find she was not on my list... I knew her log in so I logged in.... Come to find I was not on her list. That's the moment I discovered I'm not related to my grandmother. That same day I joined facedbook groups to kind of get details to help find who must be my biological dad... I have pinned it down to 5 brothers it can be between. I have talked to some cousins on Ancestry, more like 2nd and 3rd, so they of course don't know much either, but confirmed the family and etc that I was thinking. I recently went on a trip to West Virginia for my aunt's funeral. I asked my other aunts if they knew anything... Well... SURPRISINGLY. The person who knew something was one of my uncles. He confirmed it was likely a truck driver that my mom had been with - but of course he doesn't know the name. So now I'm at the point where I am supposed to mail a letter to each of the brothers that are still alive. I don't want anything from them of course. I just want to know family history & health conditions. I also just want them to know I'm out here. There's my story though for ya. 😅

Advertisement Placeholder
I don't think any of my family has ever done such a DNA test. It'd definitely be interesting to see the results, however. Funnily enough, I just came across a similar topic to this on another forum, and according to their DNA test, they may have actually been related to a lot of popular people down the years.
It's fun to do! Even if you have no interest in the building of a tree part, and just want to see where you're from! It does show you relatives that you match with as well which is interesting, but for me most of mine are like 3rd-5th cousins. I do have some 2nd cousins with the last name Hatfield. I've known about it though. My moms side is from the Hatfields lineage, but there was a feud called "The Hatfields and the McCoys" super interesting. There's even a show about it.

I did discover I'm related to a Justin Timberlake. Don't know if it's THE Justin Timberlake though lol.

My dad was adopted, and he knows nothing about his biological family. My sister got him a 23 & Me kit a few years ago, and she ended up tracking down his biological brother! I don't think she kept in contact with him however... Turns out his brother is a surgeon in California and he's the same age as my mom. My father doesn't really seem too interested in trying to reach out to the guy or to really know more about his biological family though... He's super introverted like myself and I think that plays a part in it. I've thought about getting a kit, I might ask for one for Christmas this year. :)

I've never done it because it's so expensive. I know the majority of my family came from Germany and I also know that we have some that were from Switzerland, Austria and there were even some Romanian Jewish Gypsies who died in the Holocaust. My uncle (was) and my father is into ancestry.

It's not really being done here I suppose... I'm not really interested in it.

All they have in databases are my fingerprints because apparently that's necessary when travelling outside the EU.

It's not really being done here I suppose... I'm not really interested in it.

All they have in databases are my fingerprints because apparently that's necessary when travelling outside the EU.
Oh wow, that's a bit surprising! I guess it's not as popular there because most people from there... originated from those areas for the most part? I have relatives who actively live on that side of the world. One apparently in Italy and the other in Bulgaria... but I have 757 that show up within the United States. (This is also on the less popular testing kit)

Oh wow, that's a bit surprising! I guess it's not as popular there because most people from there... originated from those areas for the most part? I have relatives who actively live on that side of the world. One apparently in Italy and the other in Bulgaria... but I have 757 that show up within the United States. (This is also on the less popular testing kit)
I don't know why it's not as "popular" here... There's a LOT of history in Europe so maybe it can be very interesting... Yours is absolutely interesting!

I'm also not a family person, we see each other once/twice a year on my dad's side and erm, never on my mom's side. 😆 So if I don't see the family I do know, why bother getting to know the ones you don't. 😅

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds