Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Cursing

JLogan

Legendary member
Website
www.clickreadshare.com
Credits
What is your opinion on curse words? Do you allow people to curse? What are your thoughts of the website owner using profanity? I sometimes feel uncomfortable using profanity online even though I curse often offline. I think it's mostly due to the pressure of many sites being against profanity.

What are your thoughts? Is cursing unprofessional?

Advertisement Placeholder
Profanity usually doesn't bother me, it has it's place (similar to ALL CAPS) for showing extreme emotion.
That being said, I usually look down (but not always) on someone using it, as one's point of view can be argued successfully without it.
Forums members come from all walks of life, including those who regularly use profanity, so in those cases, profanity doesn't bother me in the least.

Forums members come from all walks of life, including those who regularly use profanity, so in those cases, profanity doesn't bother me in the least.

I'm one of those people who regularly use profanity, so occasionally it leaks into my typing. I dunno, in a way when I see someone curse ... I feel they are showing more of their personality.

Cursing is something I do a lot more often than I would like to, but it is not something I agree with, especially on a forum or other site. There could be anyone of any age reading that content, and personally I would not want any 9 year old reading curse words. for that reason, I ban it on all of the forums I run, despite the fact it is something I do often offline.

I'm actually pretty lenient on cursing, I can tolerate it. I don't have kids visiting my forums lol

I try to make my forums as kid-friendly as can be. I let users curse as long as it isn't:

1) Cursing toward another member or downgrading a person, company, or organization
2) Excessive. You don't want users having curse words one after another
3) Relating to drugs/alcohol/adult content. Phrases like "I want to **** you" are not tolerated, even if it is asterisked out.

Phrases like "That's f***ing awesome", etc., is allowed on my boards. As long as users follow my golden rule, which is "Keep it Clean.". As long as posts don't consist of spam, drugs, alcohol, sex, etc., I wouldn't mind it. If I did catch someone using a little profanity I might put them on content moderation, but I haven't had too many issues so far. I wouldn't let it occur on boards for kids, though, such as a gaming forum. I definitely wouldn't tolerate any profanity then. At all. :)

Well, I suppose you are referring to cursing that has to do with insulting someone. That(curse people, insult etc), I've never done online, and I believe a site owner doing that is very unprofessional. True, I curse at times offline but I'm not the kind of person that just open my mouth to curse anything or anybody. So, online I don't do it at all, either as an owner or as a site member. In fact, times without number, I've gotten into arguments that the opposition team kept cursing, and I still maintained my cool.

However, using swear word generally is a different case, I can't stop someone from using swear word if they are not insulting anyone or trying to cause trouble with the usage. For example, I could write online, "It Fuc**ng drained my energy."

My site cusses all the time even though we try to cut down on it cause it's just a silly group of us hanging around, playing on our TF2 server. Our policy is to be laid back, and not super-serious 24/7. However, since the group leader's cousin is in there, we are cutting down on it a bit.

It just depends with your site theme, I guess.

It always depends if you have a gaming server like Alex and for example the players are mature, and the admin says its ok than its ok , but most of the time people are against it. Not that its something bad to do it but there might be young people on their sites , and well most of the admins are educated and really trying to make a good impression for everyone .

I believe that depend on the curse word. Many people abuse of some that are really offensive, then I have to issue warnings or implement a filter that changes cursing for a funny stuff.

However I may leave out some that are not really the big thing nor offend anyone.

Is it unprofessional? yes. But am I against it? No.
The thing is, I am only against it if it is being used in an offensive tone. Otherwise I am cool with it! :)

If it is directed at another member e.g. as insult then yes I will generally issue a warning/reminder unless obviously its said with a tongue and cheek manner.

While I curse quite often, I usually tend to keep my content clean. I think it's a little unprofessional and I don't want my name as a content provider to evoke any negative thoughts amongst my colleagues. I don't mind cursing, in moderation and depending on what's being said and the context in which it is used. I think I'm more hard pressed when it comes to racial inequality and things of that nature. That's one thing I will not tolerate....the bashing of other people based on race, sexual orientation, religious beliefs...things of that nature....

I don't give a damn what people say. It's a free country after all. Or web if you are not from a free country (I'm sorry...).

Unless it is being used to throw insults at people, I couldn't care less if people swear. Most forums are 13 and over in todays world, how many people know that many 13 year olds that haven't heard at least a couple swears before? I find the rules stupid in all honesty but I understand not everyone allows such words and many find it rude but hey ho. XD

I don't give a damn what people say. It's a free country after all. Or web if you are not from a free country (I'm sorry...).
Yes it is free, but on a site it looks unprofessional, especially if younger kids visit it, thats bad influence :D

Yes it is free, but on a site it looks unprofessional, especially if younger kids visit it, thats bad influence :D

As long as you're not being racist, offensive in terms of religion and all that, I don't see why it should matter as long as it's not a swear word every *** damn *** sen-***-ence. :p The occasional swear word is OK I belive.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds