Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Community: What do you think about Chatboxes / Shoutboxes?

Maximum1

Credits
What do you think about Chatboxes / Shoutboxes?

For me I don't mind using one on like a general discussion or gaming community but outside of that I don't really like to use one because it does kill activity and posting just a bit.

Advertisement Placeholder
I don't like them and would discourage them on any forum. A forum's main focus should be on the forum, not a chat box. The conversations generally seem to be of less quality. They also are hard to moderate, because sometimes they're hard to read back.

Many general discussion forums have shoutboxes but I think they take away users from the actual forum. Most discussions will happen on the shoutbox meaning less users will post around on the forum. When I had my forum I had the shoutbox only for staff and premium users

Many general discussion forums have shoutboxes but I think they take away users from the actual forum. Most discussions will happen on the shoutbox meaning less users will post around on the forum. When I had my forum I had the shoutbox only for staff and premium users

Thats a great Idea, talking about shoutbox for staff and premium member.
I believe chat boxes ultimately hurt overall activity on any forum.

IF you wanna put it into different perspective, what if a user only comes for interaction? maybe yeah they use the chatbox to feel welcome by members? more welcoming approach= more overall posts from that user :p just another way you can think about it :)

If your forum is fairly active and is about a certain topic like sports, gaming, or tech, a shoutbox can be a good way for users to chat just about general stuff. But if I had to say yes or no I'd say no to adding a shout/chatbox.

I really dont like the idea of Chatboxes / Shoutboxes in a forum. What I think is the members will be using chatbox more than posting on forums.

I'm not really for using a chatbox or shoutbox on a forum because I think that it has the potential to kill activity on a forum (especially a new forum that is just starting out). If you already have a well established forum, then I think it would probably be safe to have one as long as you don't lose activity.

They make a forum have less posting activity going on. Because, people will start to think why is it necessary to post? If I can just post in the Shout box? This is why I will never have a Skype Chat nor a Shout box in my forum to make the posting activity stable.

I don't mind them, but I don't see the reason to add it to every forum. Only general and gaming ones should be good.

I highly discourage anyone to use them on general or webmaster forums, I think the only place that they could be remotely useful is for roleplay forums. You don't normally RP in the chatbox, and I think it's a nice place for RPer's to just have fun, ya know?

Other than that, just don't.

I use to think that they took away from a forum's activity as you'd think people would use them more than posting on the actual forum. However, after having had one now for two months, I no longer believe that's the case. At least, on my forum it's not the case. If it becomes an issue, I might remove it or make it available for staff only.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds