Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Coming up with threads

MisterBobbyPin

Recognized member
Credits
How do you come up with threads? I feel like people always have better thread ideas than me, so I want to hear how you get these ideas.

Advertisement Placeholder
I'm not all that great at coming up with unique thread ideas. Most general discussion types of threads are repeated across forums. I do have a coding discussion forum on my board though and I think I've managed to come up with some interesting threads from time to time there. I don't pay as much attention to my general discussion forums since I'm mainly focused on the resources and services.

There's no doubt with it being difficult to come up with thread topics that's not been created before because that's what makes it very hard. Whatever you want to create new thread on most likely have been created by another users especially on a very active community. It's why I tap into what's going around me to pick some nice topics to create mostly in a general discussion niche.

Depends on your site niche.
My most recent was an easy example. A failure on a telescope that almost resulted in about $3000 of optical equipment dropping onto the ground (fast hands that I thank years of xBox game play for saving). Simply created a thread about the "beauty of aluminum" and detailed what happened, the process I was going through to try to get it fixed from input from the manufacturer and the eventual solution I chose.
Most of my posts are directly related to the niche I'm in and either involve stuff I'm doing, asking for others input about something I'm interested in or giving some "newbie points" that I've discovered. My biggest issue at times is deciding would it be better as a thread or as an article.

Last edited:
Coming up with threads can sometimes be a burden. Especially on days that you seem to hit on a writers block. It’s however advised to make new content / threads every day or at least on a very frequent timeline. I usually come up with a bunch of ideas during the day and I save them in my phone or in a post in the admin room. There are days that I can’t be bothered to think of new stuff, and that is when I go on a hunt. Google mostly but sometimes a few similar forums.

It’s better to get inspiration by someone then to post nothing at all. It may not be unique content as our beloved @joelr sometimes hammers us for, but it generates activity and engagement. And that is sometimes more important than new and unique content.

Sorry @joelr 😘 :p

I do want to suggest taking your time to push in as much as information as possible per thread. A simple question like “what did you eat today?” Doesn’t add any value. Instead you should give out some examples what some people would prefer, what’s trending, asking a few questions, etc. Adding more value to one subject. It’s destined to rank better in Google than a simple question that has no real content.

It’s better to get inspiration by someone then to post nothing at all. It may not be unique content as our beloved @joelr sometimes hammers us for, but it generates activity and engagement. And that is sometimes more important than new and unique content.
Ha

This requires some more context, because empty activity for the sake of activity is not useful. Activity for the purpose of a sense of community can be useful. But there are a lot of factors to consider.

For example,
1. Do already have an audience or group of users?

If yes, then go ahead and post items for activity and engagement. If no, then you're focusing on the wrong thing at the wrong time. You should consider your communitys growth cycle; you're too early in the cycle to be focused on the community, and not enough on building your audience to begin with.

2. Do you offer content of unique value?

If yes, then you will be able to attract a steady stream of new users. Everyone knows that you need 100 users to get 1 good, active and involved user (the 1-9-90 principle). If no, then once again you're focusing on the wrong thing at the wrong time.

3. Is your community past the initial launch phase, you have a growing audience? If yes, then you can focus on a sense of community.

Too many communities jumps directly to #3. Content for the sake of content (especially low value forum conversation and everyday conversation) should only be strategically deployed at a certain point in your communitys lifecycle.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds