Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Cloud Servers

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
Has anyone used the Cloud to host their forums on?

I've never really messed around with Cloud servers at all.

I just wonder how good they are and if it's worth using them.

Advertisement Placeholder
Uncrowned Addiction and Uncrowned Gaming use Invision's Cloud hosting. It is expensive, costing around triple what they were self-hosted and with always up-to-date licenses.

However, they still combine to around $100 a month and allow me 100% focus on content vs fighting server issues. So FOR ME that is a significant win. Instead of every Friday being "backup day" and sometimes spending weeks dealing with strange errors, I can now just put that time into more articles and content that generate income. So my logic is that overcoming $100 a month isn't that bad compared to the perks.

It isn't for everyone and the costs are higher than self-hosting. But after decades of self-hosting, the urge to keep up with server needs and education has just left me and now I want to focus on my site's content, not the sites themselves.

Uncrowned Addiction and Uncrowned Gaming use Invision's Cloud hosting. It is expensive, costing around triple what they were self-hosted and with always up-to-date licenses.

However, they still combine to around $100 a month and allow me 100% focus on content vs fighting server issues. So FOR ME that is a significant win. Instead of every Friday being "backup day" and sometimes spending weeks dealing with strange errors, I can now just put that time into more articles and content that generate income. So my logic is that overcoming $100 a month isn't that bad compared to the perks.

It isn't for everyone and the costs are higher than self-hosting. But after decades of self-hosting, the urge to keep up with server needs and education has just left me and now I want to focus on my site's content, not the sites themselves.
I would think that @Elseb would agree with this :)

I think he is using the same thing.

I bet it does.

Even though I'd rather host in myself, if it was the only option, I'd might give in.

I'm sure you see no downtime at all do you?

Haven't had any of yet, only when I forgot to pay one month haha. 🤣🤣🤣

If one knows what they are doing, and use something like CentMinMod.. then using ANY cloud provider is typically asking to get raped.
The ONLY exception is with IPS which plans to offer "special" services over those that choose self-hosting in the claim that they can "only provide it withigntheir infrastructure". I call simple bull-shit on that.. as they COULD offer it to their self-hosted script holders at an additional cost... but honestly that additional cost would probably run most of their self-hosted sites way... and not to their Cloud service which is rather expensive as it is.

The ONLY exception is with IPS which plans to offer "special" services over those that choose self-hosting in the claim that they can "only provide it withigntheir infrastructure". I call simple bull-shit on that.. as they COULD offer it to their self-hosted script holders at an additional cost... but honestly that additional cost would probably run most of their self-hosted sites way... and not to their Cloud service which is rather expensive as it is.
The real-time viewing and whos typing stuff are not something that will likely win them many new cloud customers. I know the big push against the IPS Cloud service is locked features, but as a Cloud customer, I can't honestly say that any of the cloud-only features are anything beyond extremely minor cosmetic features. Everyone complains about the cloud-only features, but no one seems to list the feature that they needed being cloud-only.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds