Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Choosing Staff

Martee

Mythical member
Credits
How do you choose your staff? Which channels do you go through? Do you hire from within your community or do you branch out to promotional forums?

Myself, I would tend to hire from within my community due to the fact that I know the person, i know their standing within the community and the trust that others members have with that person. Whilst pulling random people in can help, i believe it can alienate your members as you're not considering your own in a way.

Although, when you are starting a forum, obviously having these areas where you can go and look for staff is a very good platform to have.

Advertisement Placeholder
I think hiring people you have already worked with is good practice, but that doesn't mean someone new wouldn't be beneficial. Hubok was a fantastic Admin for forumhoopla and I found him on TAZ (when I was still a member of that horrid site ;) )

Sam said:
I think hiring people you have already worked with is good practice, but that doesn't mean someone new wouldn't be beneficial. Hubok was a fantastic Admin for forumhoopla and I found him on TAZ (when I was still a member of that horrid site ;) )

I'd have to agree, cause you know them already.

If I don't know anyone though, I'll do things myself for a couple of weeks until I get to know one of them.

I don't tend to hire people from promotional forums because I don't know them. I prefer hiring someone whose statics are known to me. Also, I like giving opportunities to my website's members in order to encourage them to become more active. I don't know many professional and big forums which can help me to find appropriate people, do you have any link? ( please send me a PM or an email, thanks! )

I've only hired 3 admins for my forum over time. And, it worked out twice. But on one situation, the person went a little weird and changed from a really nice guy that I'd known before to a stalker. So, you can't ever tell how things will work out even if you know the person awhile and they're a regular on your forum before you hire them as staff. What I've done since then is to just limit admin powers so they can't do that much damage. I like taking care of most forum details so I don't really need another full time hands on admin other than myself for the forum.

I think I would only hire people who I had been able to meet offline, such as over the phone or perhaps over a video conference. Yes, that could take place online, but it's more than a faceless email or private message, and in reality, you need more than that if you're going to trust your online presence with this person. If you hire someone who seems great for the job and then they get the authority to post inflammatory information about you and ruin your online presence and they do it, it's like being sprayed by a skunk. It may take a long time and a lot of elbow grease to get rid of the stink.

I would much rather choose a member of my own forum who is dedicated and active. If there is no interest or no suitable candidates, then I would reach out to other forums.

I would hire someone that I knew for a while that I had trusted. I would have to make sure that they understood what I wanted for the forum and all the rules. Often to hire within is the best way to go because you can see what sort of forum member they are to the site.

I usually make a topic on a promotion site saying how I'm looking for staff etc etc. Then I make a topic on my forum about hiring staff and I make my members fill out an application. But I usually just chose the staff whom I trust the most and who I have known for a long time.

I tend to hire those people who I know from the past. I only hire people who I know I can trust.

I try to avoid hiring strangers.

I think this is why my forum fails, is I don't elect current members to join staff. I always pick people from outside the forum. This has made a few members mad, but by bringing in other staff, it boosts the forum, right?

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds