Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Chat rooms and shout boxes are harmful

Advertisement Placeholder
I try not to use them on forums. It will always take the chat from the threads. They do not get indexed or add value to the forum.

There was a time when people used them to reduce off-topic on forums. But in the current state, even off-topics can be useful.

I don’t use them although I have in the past and they have taken away from members posting in the forums.
Every time I have used them, they have killed out a significant portion of forum activity.

If you put something easier in front of something more manual, people are going to choose the easier route.

It's easy to chat quickly rather than spend your time on the forum.

I stay away from them on other forums myself and keep them off my own.

@Papa Bear welcome to the forum, BTW!

Every time I have used them, they have killed out a significant portion of forum activity.

If you put something easier in front of something more manual, people are going to choose the easier route.

It's easy to chat quickly rather than spend your time on the forum.

I stay away from them on other forums myself and keep them off my own.

@Papa Bear welcome to the forum, BTW!
Pretty much what you posted is exactly what I have seen in the past and thanks

They can have a negative affect on a forum. We've had them previously and found that instead of making posts, they just typed there as it's easier and also, if it's not used, it can look a bit of an eyesore as generally dates and times are shown on the typed messages, you don't want your forum to look inactive.

I have it enabled on my forum. I use it only to say Good Morning & Good Night so that people will see that I’m around, even if I don’t happen to be able to post much on that day. Other members have used it too for general chitchat.
I don’t think it takes away from a forum as the Shoutbox is for simple conversations, not in-depth ones. I have also not had deep discussions going as the people I know who use a Shoutbox use it for simple Hi & Bye. They still post in the forum.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds