Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Charging your laptop when using it?

Credits
Everything I know all points to charging your laptop and using it at the same time isn't the best way to use your laptop. It's capable of frying some circuits in the motherboard which will most likely damage the system.

Have you ever had yourself using your laptop when it's plugged in for a charge?

Advertisement Placeholder
Why?
Most new batteries have a "life cycle" of 100% recharge cycles and do NOT have a memory. You have a set number of "recharge cycles".
And that recharge cycle is not based upon the "number" of times that you plug it in... but the amount of times that it basically has to charge back up to 100%. So, if you allow your computer to drop to 80% capacity 5 times... and you recharge it each time.. that basically is only 1 recharge cycle, not 5.
If you are REALLY concerned about that.. turn the danged thing off and then boot it up each time you need it... but how many of us actually want to have to be troubled by waiting a few minutes?

For me.. my 5+ year old Surface Books have gotten WELL into the 70% of their recharge cycles... so if it's one I need to use.. I simply leave it plugged in. I'm not worried about "long battery life" as that computer by then is primarily a "plug my ass in to use me" system.
I've got a Toshiba Portege 705 that is about 13 years old.. and it's still on it's original battery... granted, the battery only gives me about 3 hours of use.. but honestly, everywhere I need to use it at, I have AC power. I can easily get another battery for it.. but honestly, for what it is targeted for use as, I'll either have current from land transmission sources or a generator hooked up to it.

Last edited:
I take my laptop with me to work sometimes to watch movies while waiting. I think it can last 4 hours so that's pretty decent I think...

At home I mostly use it without it charging but as we speak, I'm on my laptop and just plugged it in because battery was getting low. I'm going to sign off soon and need the laptop tomorrow so I'm gonna keep it plugged in so that I definitely have a full battery for tomorrow.

Ideally, after a full charge, we should let the battery discharge at least 90% of its health before we recharge it again. This way the battery life will be long. That's what I follow. Not only for laptops but for all gadgets, it works well.

But if you are having a gaming laptop, then while gaming you must keep it plugged in. It boosts the overall performance of its RAM & Processor.

It is ok to use the laptop while charging until it's fully charged. Once done, we should remove the charger.

Last edited:
Ideally, after a full charge, we should let the battery discharge at least 90% of its health before we recharge it again.
In the old days.. yep... with new batteries, they don't develop a memory like the old ones did. Their life-span is based upon 100% charge cycles.
They do get to where they hold less of a charge as they get older... that's like my 10 year old laptop has (referred to as eco charge mode) a utility that you can use that only charges it up to 80% capacity and is what is recommended for users who mainly use the laptop when hooked to AC power. It helps lengthen the number of 100% charge cycles. The downfall is that the actual battery life is naturally shorter since it is only charged up to 80% capacity when you take it off AC power.

Last edited:
In the old days.. yep... with new batteries, they don't develop a memory like the old ones did. Their life-span is based upon 100% charge cycles.
They do get to where they hold less of a charge as they get holder... that's like my 10 year old laptop has (referred to as eco charge mode) a utility that you can use that only charges it up to 80% capacity and is what is recommended for users who mainly use the laptop when hooked to AC power. It helps lengthen the number of 100% charge cycles. The downfall is that the actual battery life is naturally shorter since it is only charged up to 80% capacity when you take it off AC power.
Oh I see.. I was unaware of that.. Thanks 😅

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds