Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Can you sue someone who slanders your name or business on social media?

Yes, you can sue someone for slander on social media. To prove slander, you would need to show that the person made false and damaging statements about you on social media with the intent to harm your reputation.
Do you know what the process is for something like this is? Do you need to contact a specific lawyer? Address anything on the social media platform?

Advertisement Placeholder
I believe the legal term is "Social Media Defamation".

I am not sure how this functions or whether or not you can actually sue as well as on what grounds. I have heard of people sharing lies about companies and getting away with it. So I am curious as to the process of doing this and how you know if you can actually sue or not.

I think that you cannot sue them until. There are so many people who tend to criticise big businesses like Walmart and McDonald's. However, these companies do not go after people and sue each and everyone of them. It all depends on the circumstances and situations.

I think that you cannot sue them until. There are so many people who tend to criticise big businesses like Walmart and McDonald's. However, these companies do not go after people and sue each and everyone of them. It all depends on the circumstances and situations.
I get that. You have to be able to prove the person hurt your company's brand and caused damages via loss of sales.

I just want to know the process of this though as I have asked.

Actually, sueing someone who spoil my business name or my name on social media is very easy because I would gather all the evidence I see online and sue the person for damages.

It is very possible for you to sue someone who slanders your image on social media provided you have the necessary evidence. This is why it is important that you always keep record off your activities on social media. But then it depends on the level of damage it has caused.

This is true, the fact that most individuals have the right to free speech even makes it more sensible for them to say anything that like. if you are dissatisfied with your service they can slander you on social media.

This is true, the fact that most individuals have the right to free speech even makes it more sensible for them to say anything that like. if you are dissatisfied with your service they can slander you on social media.

Well, the main issue is that many companies could have a really similar name and those names could be pronounced in a way that could match the name of your company. Such problems could also lead to copyright issues.

Well, the main issue is that many companies could have a really similar name and those names could be pronounced in a way that could match the name of your company. Such problems could also lead to copyright issues.
If any company has a name that sounds like yours or is exactly the spelling then you have the right to sue them. But if it is a little bit different I think you don't have that right because they may have trademark right.

If any company has a name that sounds like yours or is exactly the spelling then you have the right to sue them. But if it is a little bit different I think you don't have that right because they may have trademark right.

Well, there are many companies whose names are pronounced in the exact same way as your company. However, the spelling of the names of those companies may differ a lot.

Well, there are many companies whose names are pronounced in the exact same way as your company. However, the spelling of the names of those companies may differ a lot.
I think what really matters is the spelling because if the spelling are not same, you can't sue the person. There are some busineses that have similar spelling but not exactly same.

I think what really matters is the spelling because if the spelling are not same, you can't sue the person. There are some busineses that have similar spelling but not exactly same.

Yes, spelling of the names of those business might be different. However, this is again a real issue of copyrights in several different countries and business laws differ in many countries.

Yes, spelling of the names of those business might be different. However, this is again a real issue of copyrights in several different countries and business laws differ in many countries.
Do you mean that there will still be penalties if the names are little bit different in spelling in some countries?. Personally I don't think that is possible because they are not the same spelling.

Do you mean that there will still be penalties if the names are little bit different in spelling in some countries?. Personally I don't think that is possible because they are not the same spelling.

No, what I actually said is that the copyright laws may differ in different countries. Some countries might never allow you to start a company whose name resembles to that of a different company, even if the spelling of the name of the country is different.

No, what I actually said is that the copyright laws may differ in different countries. Some countries might never allow you to start a company whose name resembles to that of a different company, even if the spelling of the name of the country is different.
Yes, you are probably very right on this. Countries have their own different copyright laws and adhering to it is important in order to avoid problems. There are some countries that may not even allow you to open a business whose pronunciation resembles that of another business.

Yes, you are probably very right on this. Countries have their own different copyright laws and adhering to it is important in order to avoid problems. There are some countries that may not even allow you to open a business whose pronunciation resembles that of another business.

I have seen many companies that had a similar company name that resembles the name of other companies and they were still running. However, it is much better to create your own unique company name.

I have seen many companies that had a similar company name that resembles the name of other companies and they were still running. However, it is much better to create your own unique company name.
Apart from being sued for copyright there are also a lot of disadvantages of having similar names as other businesses. Your customers may confuse those names to your own and you will lose patronage. That is why it is important to come out with something unique.

This is purely dependent on what the law of our country say on social media bill. If there is nothing in the constitution that gives you right to slander anyone, then one might be fighting a lost battle here. Personally, I will careless in that type of situation.

Apart from being sued for copyright there are also a lot of disadvantages of having similar names as other businesses. Your customers may confuse those names to your own and you will lose patronage. That is why it is important to come out with something unique.

I also think that having a similar name might also have a bad effect on the name and popularity of your business as well. All the famous or popular brands have completely different names if you notice.

I also think that having a similar name might also have a bad effect on the name and popularity of your business as well. All the famous or popular brands have completely different names if you notice.
Definitely, people need to understand that copying the name of other businesses will not make them popular. It is always important to be unique.

Definitely, people need to understand that copying the name of other businesses will not make them popular. It is always important to be unique.

Unfortunately, there are still many people who try to copy the name of other companies. They think that copying the name of other big brands will make them popular. However, such kind of strategy usually backfires because customers already know that no matter how many times you copy the name of brands, you cannot match the quality until or unless you work harder to improve the quality of your product..

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds