Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Can someone go over you and copyright your name if you fail to right away?

Grant

Captain Junkie
Credits
Lets say you have a new website and have a name picked out, but you have yet to copyright it, but you plan to soon. Unfortunately, someone else decides to copyright the name before you can get to it, and they're trying to make you pay an arm and a leg for the name.

Is it possible for someone to copyright your sites name if you don't do it right away yourself? What happens if they do get the copyright? Do you have to change the name? Or do you have to fight it?

Advertisement Placeholder
Certain words cannot be entirely protected, even within copyright law. I think it depends on what the name is and how it is being used. You can sue someone over them copyrighting your name or logo if you have enough proof they are stealing your business or concept.

I think this can happen; that's why it's better once you get the idea about something and you're convinced, move right away. You're not the only one that an idea for something has been conceived in his head.

Lets say you have a new website and have a name picked out, but you have yet to copyright it, but you plan to soon. Unfortunately, someone else decides to copyright the name before you can get to it, and they're trying to make you pay an arm and a leg for the name.

Is it possible for someone to copyright your sites name if you don't do it right away yourself? What happens if they do get the copyright? Do you have to change the name? Or do you have to fight it?

No, I do not think that it would be possible. This is because if you own a business, then your business would have a specific name and no one else has the right to copy the name due to copyright laws. Yes, you can fight by challenging the other party in the court. You can settle the dispute outside of the court as well.

I think it is very possible for that to happen, as you have no legal backing to your claim, it is who goes to submit the necessary documents that the appropriate authorities would answer first

Since you are not the only one with the idea of the name and you have not even copyright the name , some one can use it before you do if you are not careful and fast enough , I don't see that as stealing .

Since the person has taken step before someone to copywrite a business name then it is over and create another name because such person has already legalized which may lead to illegal if you claim it in court.

It is most definitely possible for someone to trademark and copyright something that was your bona fide intellectual property. That person has taken advantage of your indecision in going through the right channels to copyright your name.

Since you are not the only one with the idea of the name and you have not even copyright the name , some one can use it before you do if you are not careful and fast enough , I don't see that as stealing .
The court would not rule in favor of you as they would only recognize the person that comes first to trademark the content or idea and you would not be allowed to use it.

Certain words cannot be entirely protected, even within copyright law. I think it depends on what the name is and how it is being used. You can sue someone over them copyrighting your name or logo if you have enough proof they are stealing your business or concept.
I think it also depends on the person who started the business first and the person who registered the business first so that is why it is always advisable to register your business immediately after you start or before you start

In business, overtaking is allowed. If you don't copyright a name, it is not yours. Anyone can make use of that name. That's why in business, you have to always act fast and swift.

If you thought of an idea but didn't implement it or have not given it copyright, then anyone can have the same idea.

We cannot stop them or claim that they are using our name. Now, it's their right.

That's why, getting your business registered as soon as possible is recommended to get its copyright.

Last edited:
Business is about being proactive. And if you are not, you won't have anyone to blame. What makes it your name is when you copyright it. Even if you paid for it to be copyrighted and some factors delayed the process and someone else copyrights it before you fix yourself, you don't have a right to that name.

Someone who copyright the name would be upheld legally despite that it's your name . It is critical to act fast whenever it comes to copy writing because you never know who is watching

It's very possible for someone else to copyright your name if you didn't do . The government would recognise someone who does the copyright first and nullifying yours.

I think there is no need to file for copyright once you register a domain for your website. The domain will be under your possession until you are renewing it. No one can file you a case unless you are infringing trade name or business names.

I think you are talking about registering trademark for your business. Copyright is usually for creative literary works, music compositions, etc. If we have proof of earlier and continuous usage, we can always claim that we are the rightful owners of that particular trademark and register it in our name.

Though you are the original owner of the business or the website name but since you have not copyright it , and someone else did it before you , then you automatically lost the right to the trademark .

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds