Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Can anything be done if a site is not copyrighted?

glitch

beep boop
Credits
A friend of mine made a website similar to reddit. It had been growing really well and he is actually earning through ad revenue. He is very happy but someone had bought the ".net" version of his website and basically copied it entirely, even using similar names for moderators, exact same titles and everything. Can anything be done about this?

Advertisement Placeholder
I believe you don't have to get copyright when starting a new site. If you designed it, made it, etc, and have proof of such, you own that copyright. It's the same as if you snapped a photo with a camera, you own that photo, you own the copyright. It's automatically yours.

What I'd do is reach out to the site owner and warn them you own the copyright to this site and request them to take the site down. I think if you go through court for this, you could take ownership of the site. Look at how major companies have taken over sites that copied theirs. THat would be a great way to get payback for someone stealing your content.

If there's clear copy of a site, you just have to collect the proof and find a way to report that to someone. Maybe the webhost. But always reach out to the site owner and suggest they remove the site or face legal trouble. That sometimes is enough to push them to stop.

A friend of mine made a website similar to reddit. It had been growing really well and he is actually earning through ad revenue. He is very happy but someone had bought the ".net" version of his website and basically copied it entirely, even using similar names for moderators, exact same titles and everything. Can anything be done about this?
If the person who copied the site can be tracked in the real world, you can file a case and claim copyrights. You can make him pay for the damages. However, if the person who copied cannot be tracked in the real world and he only exists in the virtual world, there is a provision of DMCA., YOu can use this provision to take his site down from the world wide web.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds