Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Banners in signatures?

Website
craftercraze.com
Credits
I saw in the rules the No Advertising listed... so I'm curious, does that mean we can't put banners in our signatures? I saw that it's okay to put one link in signatures but want to know if banners are okay?

Also, no commercial advertising... FP could be considered a commercial site since we offer services for cash. Does that mean I can't put anything in my signature?

Advertisement Placeholder
Good post here!

I've revised the rule to make it less confusing.

You can advertise communities even with premium features (FP would be fine and allowed). What I do not want to be advertised (at least without permission) are commercial websites like SEO services, posting services, product/services-based websites, etc. These sites aren't usually communities but may cater to communities.

In most cases, I'll allow advertising for a fair fee unless it's winnings through a competition or something of that nature.

But to answer your question again, you may advertise FP :)

Ah, so here's the catch...am I allowed this type of banner in my signature? And what sizes are you requiring for banner signatures, btw?

aLpFIWY.png

Should I create a different banner where it focuses on the community aspect of the site instead?

Not a fan of banners in signatures.. and that's why i generally turn images off... but due to my current niche, there are a few valid uses for images that aren't "site spamming" related... specifically one that you can set to show the sky quality for your location for a time period.

It isn't "site spamming" if it's allowable by the site. Plus, there are people who might actually want to improve their ways of promotion and could use the help. I don't automatically add banners unless I know for a fact that the owner allows them and, as you see here, I even went so far as to get clarification so I don't overstep my bounds.

t isn't "site spamming" if it's allowable by the site.
Whether it's "allowed" by the site or not... banners like that TO ME are no more than spamming. A nice, sedate sentence with a link in it does as much good. I really don't care to look at a box of gaudy graphics (MySpace is so mid-2000's).. it's MORE likely to turn me off from visiting than a simple link with a description.
That's why my site specifically disallows that.. .but you CAN post an image that utilizes functions like I commented on.
Simple fact is.. many DON'T want to see a glaring banner in a sig line... and will be more apt to ignore it. It is WAY to much like "in your face advertising" that folks use ad blockers to prevent. In fact, it can get so bad (if the XF admin has allowed it) that the users will elect to NOT show signatures in posts.

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 7.25.18 AM.png

That is NOT an option here though.

Last edited:
Her banner doesn't bother me.

It's flashy banners that get under my skin. Highly animated stuff.

I'm fine with adding an option for members to turn off signature viewing of other members if there is a way to do it? I feel like that is a fair negotiation for me allowing banners which I will continue to do.

Yah.. the problem is that to many want some "flashy graphics" on their sites... they also tend to be ones that use GIF's for their avatars I've found.
It's a "default" ability in XF... the problem is, it's all or nothing... I must have overlooked it here.. had several different tasks running that night I posted.
I've simply turned it off here so even if someones sig has something of interest in it... wont' see it.

It is hard to say with this being an admin board. Advertising people's sites and services is a fairly large part of the community, so I'm actually quite okay with a banner or leaderboard style signature here.

On my sites, I limit the width for the exact purpose of discounting banner ad style signatures, but I also don't run an admin focused site. So I would probably do things differently in that case.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds