Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Bad idea to hire younger family for work?

Grant

Captain Junkie
Credits
I know some mom & pop shops allow their younger kids work in the store or business. Maybe not too young, but maybe around the age of 13-14 or so. I cut grass around that age, but I also didn't have a family business that allowed me to work for family.

These days, I don't think I'd hire a younger family member, because if you have to fire them, it's not going to be fun, and who's to say they're mature enough for the job and can even handle it. What do you think? Is it find to hire someone under the legal working age if they're family?

Advertisement Placeholder
I know some mom & pop shops allow their younger kids work in the store or business. Maybe not too young, but maybe around the age of 13-14 or so. I cut grass around that age, but I also didn't have a family business that allowed me to work for family.

These days, I don't think I'd hire a younger family member, because if you have to fire them, it's not going to be fun, and who's to say they're mature enough for the job and can even handle it. What do you think? Is it find to hire someone under the legal working age if they're family?

The legality of hiring someone under the legal working age, even if they are a family member, depends on the labor laws and regulations of your specific jurisdiction. Each country or region may have its own set of rules regarding the minimum age for employment and any exceptions or allowances for family members.

When it comes to hiring someone under the legal working age in your family I feel you should be able to do it but should also look at it in terms of if it could cause any issues in the long run if you were to need to fire them for any reason.

Over here in the UK, we tend to not really hire but offer our children chores that they are able to do in exchange for pocket money which is a little better than hiring them.

In my home country, legally you cannot hire someone under 16 years of age. However, I believe if the younger family member has the skills and knowledge about the work, it is perfectly ok as this will not only help you but also the person working for you.

Not younger sibling, but younger cousin. Doing some cutting of grass or such things, and then paying them for the efforts. It gives them something to do that I can still do myself, but it saves me time and they can have extra money for it. I don't think it's a bad idea per se, just don't exploit them like make them do difficult jobs or pay them so low. I did menial job during school breaks and it gave me extra money.

Not younger sibling, but younger cousin. Doing some cutting of grass or such things, and then paying them for the efforts. It gives them something to do that I can still do myself, but it saves me time and they can have extra money for it. I don't think it's a bad idea per se, just don't exploit them like make them do difficult jobs or pay them so low. I did menial job during school breaks and it gave me extra money.

Well, there are many relatives of mine whom I would hire. This is because they are in need of a job as some of them are working really odd jobs. If I had business, then I would have certainly helped them.

Not just a younger family member is a bad idea but hiring any family member into ones business is a bad idea. Experience shows that such act always result in ruin of the business.

Not just a younger family member is a bad idea but hiring any family member into ones business is a bad idea. Experience shows that such act always result in ruin of the business.

Well, I think that hiring a bad relative would definitely lead to issues for a person. This is one of the main reasons why many people may not hire a relative, especially when it comes to offering them a huge responsibility.

Hiring younger family members for work can have both advantages and disadvantages. It ultimately depends on the specific circumstances, the nature of the work, and the dynamics within your family.

In my home country, legally you cannot hire someone under 16 years of age. However, I believe if the younger family member has the skills and knowledge about the work, it is perfectly ok as this will not only help you but also the person working for you.

The most important thing is after they are now of the legal age to be hired to work, you should ensure that they have the interest to be committed and dedicated in the work they are hired to do, otherwise it is going to be very bad for your business as they're not going to contribute adequately to the business.

The most important thing is after they are now of the legal age to be hired to work, you should ensure that they have the interest to be committed and dedicated in the work they are hired to do, otherwise it is going to be very bad for your business as they're not going to contribute adequately to the business.

The sad thing is that in many countries, there are many young people who work in many companies. I am not sure about the laws in western countries regarding this. However, I have worked in a telemarketing company and in there they used to hire students who were quite younger. They never had any kind of strict policy regarding this.

I'm not sure if it's your family; they could think they can do whatever they want since you can't really do bad things to them. If the person is 15 years old, I think they are mature enough to work, but not 13 or 12. In my country, you can hire as young as 14-year-olds, but it's very hard to find any job for them since they are not that mature.

The sad thing is that in many countries, there are many young people who work in many companies. I am not sure about the laws in western countries regarding this. However, I have worked in a telemarketing company and in there they used to hire students who were quite younger. They never had any kind of strict policy regarding this.

Over here in my country there is no strict regulation when it comes to the age where by someone is hired to work in any company. This is because you can actually see someone as young as 14 or 15 years been employed to work. It all depends on the capability of the person to deliver.

I don't see anything wrong with hiring any member of your family who is of a legal age to start working in your business as long they are interested in working. They can be a good assets in your business because they will work knowing it's their own business.

There is always a bad side to letting these younger ones get involved in the business. It is a tricky one that you should have a look at. The point always is not about what you are getting as an employer, but whether they are keying into the goals and objectives of the business or they are still looking at working in the business as a fun thing to do. So, one needs to check their level of commitment before talking about hiring them for any role.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds