Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Are we treating lurkers wrong this whole time?

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
Lurking members of communities...

It happens quite a bit and has happened for a long time. We know this. We might have even been these lurkers before.

What do admins usually do with lurkers?

I know of a few likely responses over the years...
  • Typical - ignore lurkers and let them lurk
  • Extreme - delete or even ban lurkers
I think we're getting it all wrong.

Instead of ignoring or deleting, we should be engaging the disengaged of the community.

What do you think about that so far?

Instead of pretending lurkers aren't there or deleting them, why don't we send them a message and engage with them until they answer us. Then form a relationship in private and continue to encourage them to be active on the community.

What is there to lose? I mean if they want to be removed - they were lurkers to begin with right?

What do you all thing about this concept and how would it be best to engage the disengaged? Are you doing it now? If so, please share some tips!

Advertisement Placeholder
If the lurkers don't have the right amount of posts, they can't reply to private messages on my forums. But I get what you're saying. Maybe a message on their Profile to show that you care could go a long way!
Or even if they could just reply to you and no one else.

I wonder if there is an addon for that.

I think that is of the norm but I feel we might consider changing the way we treat lurkers overall.

Engage them. They might turn out to be active and loyal social members but we might need to get them out of the dark by starting a relationship with them.

One of the evolving views of professional community management is that lurkers engage with the community, it's just harder to measure.

Lurkers still read posts, lurkers still download resources, lurkers still provide value. They may post here and there, they just don't always feel the need to be vocal all of the time.

One of the evolving views of professional community management is that lurkers engage with the community, it's just harder to measure.

Lurkers still read posts, lurkers still download resources, lurkers still provide value. They may post here and there, they just don't always feel the need to be vocal all of the time.
I often wonder about the ones who don’t say anything at all.

Of course, I’d welcome them to continue to lurk as they wish but if I could change that, I’d be fkt that, too.

I feel is we engage them, we might be able to create an active member out of at least a few of them.

Sounds for a fun experiment at least :)

I think that is of the norm but I feel we might consider changing the way we treat lurkers overall.

Engage them. They might turn out to be active and loyal social members but we might need to get them out of the dark by starting a relationship with them.

You're right. On Christianity Haven, I know that there are people reading but are afraid to voice their opinions. And yet, they're also reading the prayer lists when we have them and praying.

I'm actually getting quite a few valid sign-ups on my astronomy site recently. Think quite a few of them are coming in from Reddit, along with a few from a competitors site.
And they are human, not bot. Of course, there are a few I suspect are human spammers as who would put "hair" in as a telescope description....

Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 12.56.22 AM.png

They aren't active on posting... but there are several that keep returning. The odd thing is, the only restriction for the site for guests is posting. All items can be viewed by guests. But for a site that doesn't really get advertised widely... it has surprised me.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds