Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Are kids even using forums anymore?

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
Back when I had forums before I left, many kids (13 to 17) were using forums.

Many of them had their own forums.

Typically, I always setup my rules to allow people aged 13 and up to use the forum. That's what the rule is today for FAF.

But that's got me wondering...

Are there many kids using forums these days? Aside from maybe the gaming niche... I don't ever see anyone who's under the age of 18.

Maybe we should change the rules to 18 on our forums. Maybe that will make young people want to come back because they feel they're missing out on stuff.

What do you all think about this? Are many kids on forums anymore these days? Or have they all grown up?

Advertisement Placeholder
They have space there... what they don't have are apps like Twitter, FaceBook, YouTube and such.... and it's rather hard to have a mobile app that would cover all forums... wait... we do... it's called a browser! A dedicated app that might work for your site won't work for mine, specifically the add-ons I use that are a large part of the site. I don't see folks downloading 10 apps for 10 different XF forums (or any script).

Most scripts have very decent interfaces on mobile.

As for the original crowd... depends on what you call "kids". The 8-18 year olds are mainly app users, and they are primarily consumers with a few that will share what I consider "junk". Most of what they do is akin to cat memes on FB.
Unless it's a "general" type of discussion forum, most kids aren't involved in the niches of many of the sites... hunting, shooting, building race cars. The rare exception will be forums on specific vehicle types that are common to be modified.

They have space there... what they don't have are apps like Twitter, FaceBook, YouTube and such.... and it's rather hard to have a mobile app that would cover all forums... wait... we do... it's called a browser! A dedicated app that might work for your site won't work for mine, specifically the add-ons I use that are a large part of the site. I don't see folks downloading 10 apps for 10 different XF forums (or any script).

Most scripts have very decent interfaces on mobile.

As for the original crowd... depends on what you call "kids". The 8-18 year olds are mainly app users, and they are primarily consumers with a few that will share what I consider "junk". Most of what they do is akin to cat memes on FB.
Unless it's a "general" type of discussion forum, most kids aren't involved in the niches of many of the sites... hunting, shooting, building race cars. The rare exception will be forums on specific vehicle types that are common to be modified.
Do you get any younger (younger than 18) folks on your astro forum? And if yes, do they remain active?

Do you get any younger (younger than 18) folks on your astro forum? And if yes, do they remain active?
I don't accumulate age/DOB info.... as due to the topic, it's open to anyone.
But honestly, I doubt it currently as the cost of entry into the field can be rather high and most teen-agers (other than the science nerds like I was) would rather spend that money on something else.
I am hoping once I can acquire some additional equipment and get a local astronomy group going to go to the two ISD's (independent school districts) and work on getting some from grade 9-12 involved in it.

They will be but it will be a far smaller number than years ago. Why would they when they have social media?

They will be but it will be a far smaller number than years ago. Why would they when they have social media?
I agree.

I think TikTok and Snap is way more important for them.

My 17 year old has never even been on a forum I'm certain. She does TikTok and snap though... constantly lol

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds