Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Appealing Moderator Actions

Advertisement Placeholder
I am still new to Xenforo but can you revert moderator changes on this forum software?

If you are able to revert changes, that might change my action depending on what has occurred. If I hire someone as a staff member, they are to be trusted by me and I trust their choices and also frame of mind behind actions they take.

To be fair, I will investigate fully with complete impartiality to both parties. I will formulate a response to the person involved with my findings and go from there. If I deem it not an appropriate action, I will deal with that either by making amends or reverting whatever was done to them. Regardless if the action is stuck or reverted, there will be a detailed formulation of why this was chosen.

I will debrief the team member, either outcome. I think it's important to trust your stuff and allow them the freedom to do their position but also you need to respect the members, sometimes mistakes happen. We are all human.

If a user was banned without my, the owner, consent then I would probably allow a user to appeal so I can be 100% sure if they deserve to be unbanned or remain banned for their actions. I'm sure that if I hired moderators I can trust that they would make the right decisions, but I would take such things up with the administrator. The owner should have the final say in a user's account status, in my opinion.

I'd take a look at what lead to the ban in the first place. If there wasn't a good reason for the moderator to ban the person, I'd talk to the moderator and lift the ban but keep a close eye on the member. I'd also keep an eye out on the moderator to make sure it doesn't happen again. It's one thing to disagree with a member's post, it's another thing if the member was breaking a rule.

I am still new to Xenforo but can you revert moderator changes on this forum software?

If you are able to revert changes, that might change my action depending on what has occurred. If I hire someone as a staff member, they are to be trusted by me and I trust their choices and also frame of mind behind actions they take.

To be fair, I will investigate fully with complete impartiality to both parties. I will formulate a response to the person involved with my findings and go from there. If I deem it not an appropriate action, I will deal with that either by making amends or reverting whatever was done to them. Regardless if the action is stuck or reverted, there will be a detailed formulation of why this was chosen.

I will debrief the team member, either outcome. I think it's important to trust your stuff and allow them the freedom to do their position but also you need to respect the members, sometimes mistakes happen. We are all human.
Sometimes posts can not be returned or undeleted - depends. I know on another software deleted posts went to a trash can but never were fully deleted. Not sure if that is capable on here. A ban or a warning can be changed though.

So here's my hot take: I don't ever give moderators the ability to do anything that I as admin can't undo. The moderator deletes posts? Fine, but it'll go either to a trash area or however the relevant software does it as a soft delete until I can decide if I'm keeping it or not. Bans I don't generally give out to anyone but actual admins.

The only one that's a bit on the fence is merging; it's possible to merge topics and be pretty destructive with it in a way that's annoyingly hard to undo again, but it *is* possible. I generally haven't had to act in a way to undo this at scale but if in doubt I have backups and can restore the post->topic relationship that way if I have to.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds