Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Age of Staff

Martee

Mythical member
Credits
Do you find that you hire staff according to their age? Or do you not care what age they are as long as they act mature on your forums and in general? I wouldn't care about age as I know many young people who can be very mature and I've seen them in action!

People who like age limits are obviously living with the pre-conception that all teenagers are rude and annoying. Granted though, most are! :D

Advertisement Placeholder
I don't see any point in hiring staff according to the age!
Yes some teenagers are annoying, but I have dealt with some fully grown up people who were super annoying(not on forums though).

give me time please - i take a while to warm up lol
I don't get it, what are you warming up for lol? A marathon?!

Well, I'm 13 and I manage a forum, so I guess It's okay to hire teenagers. Though, they need to be mature.

Prime example right there, most people would have the pre-conception to call you a 'kiddie' or 'immature noob' from my experience. Yet, you are running a forum (Presumably by yourself) which shows a level of maturity. I just hate people who stereotype everyone in a certain age bracket just because of a minority rather than the majority. Keep making the teens proud matthew. :)

Prime example right there, most people would have the pre-conception to call you a 'kiddie' or 'immature noob' from my experience. Yet, you are running a forum (Presumably by yourself) which shows a level of maturity. I just hate people who stereotype everyone in a certain age bracket just because of a minority rather than the majority. Keep making the teens proud matthew. :)

Actually, my forum isn't that big, so it doesn't take that much to run it. :p

Exactly- You can get really mature 13 year olds who can run great forums. What you'll probably find Mathew, which is what I found, is that you will still become a lot more intelligent and mature over the next 3 or so years (I can only speak that far ahead as I'm 16). I think you'd have to be pretty sure of their maturity to hire anyone under 13 though..... Often they'll just go ahead and do things without asking etc.

Lol...I'm actually 12, but I turn 13 in 12 days. I usually say I'm 13 when I join websites/forums.
I might be confused here, but I think that is for COPPA compliance or something? I think it goes along the line of: anyone under 13 should/has to fill out a form because of them offering their email (presumably some call this identifiable information) and as they are young, I believe that the site they are joining may be watched for leaks of information.

It was quite a long thing to read, and I only gave a half hearted effort in taking it in.

As for the topic on hand, To me, I don't believe the stereotypes. You can have an adult that is quite the pain in the arse, and yet have a 14-16 year old behave quite remarkably. I guess its trial by ordeal. Anything you do in life is taking a chance, so why would doing something online be any different? I would pick someone who knows how to behave themselves on the board/site, also look at their activity, contibutions etc.

I might be confused here, but I think that is for COPPA compliance or something? I think it goes along the line of: anyone under 13 should/has to fill out a form because of them offering their email (presumably some call this identifiable information) and as they are young, I believe that the site they are joining may be watched for leaks of information.

It was quite a long thing to read, and I only gave a half hearted effort in taking it in.

As for the topic on hand, To me, I don't believe the stereotypes. You can have an adult that is quite the pain in the arse, and yet have a 14-16 year old behave quite remarkably. I guess its trial by ordeal. Anything you do in life is taking a chance, so why would doing something online be any different? I would pick someone who knows how to behave themselves on the board/site, also look at their activity, contibutions etc.

Yes there is COPPA compliance- but I doubt anyone under 13 follows it. Which is an interesting question in itself! How do you protect younger people from seeing and discussing things that are inappropriate for their age group? I think a lot of admins try to keep most discussions PG but......

And obviously being a 16 year old- I don't believe in Stereotypes either :p I have been on a forum where I would consider someone to have basically ruined it by being "an arse"- and they're in their late 20's. However you do have to be careful about maturity levels- which seems to develop in most people at around 13-14- so some people that age may not have the maturity to be a staff member until they're a year or two older.

It's not about age limit, more about maturity levels. I've seen 14 year old's behaving more maturely than 20 year old's, so it's just about the person and not the age.

I find it rather harsh to judge one on their age, instead I look at other key points like their grammar and spelling, their previous experience and generally being a good member and a good role model while posting on the forum regularly. :)

I find it rather harsh to judge one on their age, instead I look at other key points like their grammar and spelling, their previous experience and generally being a good member and a good role model while posting on the forum regularly. :smile:
You sir win a medal and an internet. This comment is one that all admins and such should live by. You should never judge by age but rather by how they act on your forum and elsewhere.

You sir win a medal and an internet. This comment is one that all admins and such should live by. You should never judge by age but rather by how they act on your forum and elsewhere.

Haha, cheers. But yeah, age isn't the key factor here as there could be much older people who are immature or not fitting to be in control of moderator permissions.

I honestly don't care about the age of my staff members as long as they act mature enough for the position :)

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds