Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Content Creation Admin's Block: When you run out of ideas for content creation

A prefix for threads focusing on the creation of content for websites and forums.

Cedric

Ex-Captain Junkie
Retired Staff
As the captains of our online communities, our role is not just about maintaining the ship; it's also about charting a course that keeps the journey exciting for our members. But let's be honest—have you ever experienced that sinking feeling when your head goes completely blank, and you run out of ideas for starting new threads? What do you do?

It's a common predicament for community leaders. The job involves not only overseeing the forum but also ensuring that it remains active and engaging with fresh posts and discussions. Yet, there are times when inspiration seems to play hide and seek, and you're left wondering what to post next.

So, let's talk about it. Have you ever faced "Admin's Block," that moment when you're devoid of thread ideas? What did you do to overcome it? Did you turn to your community for suggestions, seek inspiration from other sources, or employ creative brainstorming techniques?

Sharing your experiences and strategies can be invaluable for fellow administrators who may find themselves in the same boat. After all, we're a community too, and supporting each other during those moments of creative drought can lead to innovative solutions and renewed enthusiasm for forum management.

So, fellow admins, have you ever run out of thread ideas, and how did you handle it? Let's discuss our approaches to keeping our forums active and engaging, even when the well of ideas temporarily runs dry.

I've dealt with this quite a few times throughout my years of owning forums. Typically I'll take a step back and think about new thread ideas whenever I get over my writers block. I'll continue posting in threads though, to keep conversations going.

I would think that, as someone passionate about a certain niche, you would be familiar with and subscribe to various news, blogs, mailers, or sites as sources of inspiration.

Before I even started Invisioneer.org to focus on community management, one of my preliminary launch steps was to subscribe to several community management experts via email. Every day, I get tons of ideas -- sometimes it's too much and it's hard to pick and choose!

If you're starting or running a forum in isolation, it's going to be hard. But if you keep up to date with your niche at a broad level, there will always be lots to talk about.

I would think that, as someone passionate about a certain niche, you would be familiar with and subscribe to various news, blogs, mailers, or sites as sources of inspiration.
If you're starting or running a forum in isolation, it's going to be hard. But if you keep up to date with your niche at a broad level, there will always be lots to talk about.

This. I have 2 niche communities that are of special interest to me, and I keep up to date and involved in this niche even outside of my own sites. As such I have a list of things to talk about.

One thing I do though is not post them all at once. I drop topics like an IV drip, slow and steady, so that there is something new to come back and see almost every day.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 20 80.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds