Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

2FA in Forums

Credits
I have been posting on forums since 2015, over the period of 8 years, I have used hundreds of forums. I am still active on over two dozen forums. However, except for AJ, I have never come across any forums where 2FA has been enabled. I do not even have 2FGA on my forums. The only benefit I see in this is to stop unauthorized access to the forum. What are other possible benefits of using 2FA in a forum? Do you have 2FA enabled on your forum? Would you enable 2FA?

Advertisement Placeholder
I have never come across any forums where 2FA has been enabled
If your the same Nomad that's on RIF, you've come across one ;)

Most of my sites will have 2FA enabled. However, I don't force it on people except administrators. Up to the user if they want to enable it. I have it enabled myself.

What are other possible benefits of using 2FA in a forum?
Mostly just security really. If you do end up getting a compromised password, you aren't risking your account. At least the likelihood of your account getting unauthorized access significantly decreases.

This used to be a problem back in the day of old forums where accounts would get cracked. People panicked. I now wonder how true that was and if people just mostly leaked the staff room in their own regard. I know some community admins had their accounts cracked though and I do believe that. The security of forums was a bit lacking then so I think many consider it now especially if you use the same password/email at all sites you go to.

The only real purpose in 2FA on any forum, IMO, is to stop people from gaining access to the Admin CP or any other moderator function which may potentially cause a disruption to the overall community. Disruptions such as: deleting or editing posts, banning or deleting other user's accounts, or even deleting the forum in general. Other than that, I suppose I'd just leave it to the individual members preference.

I use it on all websites that have it available. But most especially, on websites where I spend money. I always enable it for accounts where there is a chance that I will spend money on it either now or in the future. Even if I do not plan to spend money on the site, I usually enable 2FA if it is available anyway. It is just good security practice to have.

I tend to only use 2FA on accounts that need extra security, such as bank accounts, password managers, forums I am a staff member on, etc. Unfortunately, Jcink (the software I use) doesn't have 2FA, the closest thing it has is a security question for the ACP. I would use 2FA on my board if the option were available. All in all, I haven't used 2FA on very many forums.

I only use 2FA for my bank account and sites/services that force me to use it, such as Apple ID. I don’t use 2FA on any forums for 2 reasons: I think it’s inconvenient and I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary. Sure, it adds an extra layer of security, but it’s extremely rare that it will come to that.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds