Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

1 Theme/Skin vs Multiple Themes/Skins

Credits
Some would say a theme is the image of the forum. Most "professional" forums only have one theme and some people think of it kind of as a trademark. Is it good that some forum softwares allow for multiple themes? Is it better to have multiple themes or just one?

I personally like to have a main theme such as a custom one or a bought one as the main theme of the forum... A light and a dark version is good! Then I enjoy putting seasonal themes. I tried not to have more than 5 themes available per time, but really I think it allowed members to customize their experience more!

Advertisement Placeholder
In the modern day and age, having the main theme with light/dark variants is probably the way to go - too much choice isn't really helpful and you're right in that the theme is in effect the branding.

That said, festive *variants* can be fun provided they don't introduce major experience glitches (e.g. missing functionality because the relevant addons aren't installed properly in them), and I'd be inclined to keep the variant subtle to avoid major disruption - e.g. snow falling in the header area, or snow stacked up on the board category headers at winter time. Gives it a bit of personality without being a major change.

I just have a light and dark version theme on my board. We originally only had a light version available, but later on, converted it to a dark version for those that prefer dark themes. We've never had any other themes available other than Azuria and Azuria Dark on my board. I think it can help set a foundation for your board when you have only a few themes and especially a primary theme available. People can be like "I know that color scheme/design" and know that it's your board they're referencing.

One idea to add another theme that users may prefer is to do what they used to do on the official ZetaBoards forum where you have a vote on a theme you want to be added to the board for a month from the member base. That may help branch out the choices a bit and allow users to not grow tired of the default theme and those that don't like the color scheme/design, in general, may appreciate having another choice.

A light and a dark version is good!
I have 2 paid styles... I offer the primary one in both light and dark versions.
The original style I used on the site is ONLY offered in dark.

The dark versions are definitely different and I have a few users who prefer it.

Original style (based upon PixelExit Blackened Pro)
Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 7.09.23 AM.png

Current default style based upon PixelExit Bolt

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 7.09.48 AM.png

Needless to say, both have been slightly tweaked.
I try to minimize the number of styles as I use several customizations that are a PITA to keep synchronized between all of them.

Just a Dark/Light version of one style for me, but because they're configured as separate styles rather than one being the child/parent of the other, it can be a bit of a headache with customisations and making sure both are maintained.

I've only just updated our Light style, it's been deactivated for about a year.. 🫢 I've converted universal changes of the PAGE_CONTAINER template to template modifications for easier maintenance going forwards. I'll likely do the same to a few other bits.

Just a Dark/Light version of one style for me, but because they're configured as separate styles rather than one being the child/parent of the other, it can be a bit of a headache with customisations and making sure both are maintained.

I've only just updated our Light style, it's been deactivated for about a year.. 🫢 I've converted universal changes of the PAGE_CONTAINER template to template modifications for easier maintenance going forwards. I'll likely do the same to a few other bits.
I’m not familiar with XF’s template system enough to comprehend what you mean. So feel free to elaborate on that or even better - make a guide for future reference if any member would ever need it. :D

I'll come up with something, but to elaborate - it utilises the same system that add-ons use to make template changes without needing to directly edit them..

So let's say you just want to add a footer link to the row where 'Contact us' and 'Terms and rules' are.. If you have multiple styles that are independent of each other, you'd need to make that edit multiple times. Adding the link as a template modification would allow you to do it just once, and it also helps to future proof against style updates if you're using a commercial style.

I'll come up with something, but to elaborate - it utilises the same system that add-ons use to make template changes without needing to directly edit them..

So let's say you just want to add a footer link to the row where 'Contact us' and 'Terms and rules' are.. If you have multiple styles that are independent of each other, you'd need to make that edit multiple times. Adding the link as a template modification would allow you to do it just once, and it also helps to future proof against style updates if you're using a commercial style.
Oh right, editing multiple styles is indeed a burden sometimes, so your way makes more sense and less time consuming.

I currently have two themes installed on VG Challenges, both were made by Styles Factory. As for Free To Be Us, I only have a dark theme installed. I still need to take a look at light themes again and pick a good one. I think having one theme that can interchange between light and dark is fine, but I personally like to have around 2 or 3 themes installed on my forums.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds