Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Has your web hosting company closed without notice?

timewo

Has your web hosting company shut down without any notice, leaving you without backups. In this case, what have you done?

My hosting company has never closed without any notice but I did have one hosting company I was using that changed their prices without notice and that meant I had to make the tough decision to close my forum when that happened as the hosting I had was great and I didn't want to go back to the hosting company I had an issue with before. Wished I had more notice though as I could have probably sorted something out.

Nope, because I'd usually notice the writing on the wall ahead of the closure and move - but I also have pretty good backup processes so closing wouldn't usually be the worst thing for me anyway.

I reckon if I had to, I could bring all my personal sites back up from 'hosting gone' to 'fully restored as at 2 days ago' in all cases, and 'last 8 hours of content at most' lost if it's just posts since I don't maintain a complete backup of all attachments to the same standard as I do DB backups.

Though I am expecting a migration in the next year because I find myself less and less happy with what I'm hearing about Linode after the Akamai acquisition, might have to start diversifying things out a bit.

I don't know that I've had a web hosting that has completely closed on me.

I did have a hosting company that I was using once upon a time that sold out to another company and a bunch of people jumped shipped when that happened because the company that they sold out to is a bunch of junk so I switched to another web hosting.

I know many people here used Zetaboards and had to either deal with the move to Tapatalk or start over on a new platform. I didn't have a forum that was active on Zetaboards, so I didn't have to deal with this. Though in most cases, whenever this does happen the owners of the hosting company are usually good about giving a notice so you have sometime to back up your sites and move elsewhere if that option is available.

This guy was giving me hosting once and it closed down. Well, he should have let me know about it, though. That's just standard etiquette.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 20 80.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds