Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Would you let your kids be members on your forum?

Advertisement Placeholder
I wouldn't recommend it for a couple of reasons.

1. You can't fully control the content that gets posted and you might be exposing your child to content you rather they didn't see. Being able to remove posts doesn't stop them from getting posted in the first place and you can't be on all the time.
2. You won't be objective in how you handle them and may easily fall into the trap of overlooking infractionsn you wouldn't overlook if anyone else did them. It's tough enough being objective in handling your friends but your kids is a whole other level.

I probably wouldn't allow kids to join any forums until the age of 13, which is the legal age for a person to join a forum without parental consent in accordance with COPPA. You never know what type of spam could be posted, what type of discussions people will get into, and what scams kids could possibly get themselves into. It's risky, to say the least, I think.

I personally would allow it myself with the ages my kids are now and I know that I would be there to keep an eye on them but would also have staff members to keep an eye on them as well. All my kids are now 13 and above so the age to be able to use forums and I would ensure that they have a set user group so I know they couldn't gain access to anything I didn't want them to.

I doubt I'll ever have kids, but if I did... then, I don't think I'd tell them about the forum.

(Of course, if they discovered it of their own volition, then I'd let them stay, as long as they were 13+ and didn't do anything ban-worthy. But I doubt they'd even want to: at that age, they'd consider it "uncool" to participate in their parents' social activities!)

I personally would allow it myself with the ages my kids are now and I know that I would be there to keep an eye on them but would also have staff members to keep an eye on them as well. All my kids are now 13 and above so the age to be able to use forums and I would ensure that they have a set user group so I know they couldn't gain access to anything I didn't want them to.
Pretty much this. I don't have kids myself, but if you count Shortie's kids then the same goes for me. :p

Had been on forums where the site's admins or even mods were family. Mainly cousins and siblings were staff and/or users. Nope, doesn't go over well. I'd not want my own kids on my forum as a member, let alone staff.

I would allow them to be.

I don't like profanity and adult-themed content. I'm not against it but I don't want it on my forums. There are plenty of forums for that sort of thing.

I'd rather keep a community family friendly. I'm now a family man and I just see it that way.

It's the same with my hiking brand. I have a lot of kid fans that look up to me. I try my best to set the best example I can.

So, kids on my forums would be okay. But I wouldn't allow them to moderate it.

I don't have kids, but I wouldn't want any kid under 13 joining my forum. I can moderate posts and hope that they don't break any rules, but my rules are pretty relaxed. Of course I don't allow sexual content, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect. However, when it comes to cussing I don't mind if members cuss and some parents might not want their 13 year olds cussing if they don't already.

Is your forum family friendly enough to allow your kids on them? Or do you think they have no business on your forum and would act strange on it?Would you let them on even if other minors weren't allowed because you know you could supervise them? At what age would you be ok with them participating?
Yes, mine is.
Have no issues with 7th grade and higher on the site... in fact, have created a few social groups to eventually use when we start hitting up the local schools to see if there is any interest amongst the students for the niche. Each social group is a closed group and it has it's own discussion area and also event calendar.

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 11.39.20 PM.png

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds