Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Why has forums died over the years?

ChrisG2010

Reputable member
Credits
Over the last few years, I have noticed forums in general have majorly decreased in activity. What do you think has been the main factor in this? Do you believe forums are more active or less active than, lets say 5 years ago?

I believe it is definitely less active due to Social Media such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc making it a lot easier to connect with your friends to share pictures, and other daily activities.

I don't believe Social Media can replace forums although, the structure of a forum will never compete to a news feed on facebook, and the same goes the other way around. Forums are more organized unlike news feeds.

Advertisement Placeholder
I'd say Facebook is the biggest reason for the decline of forums. As Facebook continues to take over the world, they're continuously expanding the different things that you can do on Facebook. For example, over the last couple years, the buying/selling marketplace groups have become all the rage, and there's no telling how much traffic it has taken away from websites like Craigslist and even eBay. Also, I'd say that the Facebook groups feature has stolen a ton of people from forums. It's much easier to connect with people regarding a specific niche or topic on there.

Reddit starterpack
> 15 years old
> justin bieber hair
> the world "just doesn't get me"

You just described 2011 Cameron perfectly.

The rise of huge, centralized forum/imageboard like sites with multiple topics. (4chan, 5chan, Reddit) And social media. Forums haven't been keeping up feature-wise.

Never heard that one before.
It's the Japanese 4chan. (It used to be called 2chan, but got renamed) It's actually older than 4chan. Anyway, forum usage has been declining internationally, so my response was meant to reflect that : P

I completely agree with everyone in this thread about why forums have been dying off. Social media has played a huge part in the decline of forums, starting new ones and people joining them. I have seen so many forums close at a faster rate over the years. Many people that were once a big part of the forum community as a whole have left for good. Facebook would be the biggest contributing factor like @Cameron said. He summed everything up rather well. He took the words right out of my mouth. Everything is evolving at a fast rate on the Internet. So much so, that forums are having a hard time keeping up with the rest of the online world. I remember years ago that there were so many awesome forums that you just wanted to join them all.

I completely agree with everyone in this thread about why forums have been dying off. Social media has played a huge part in the decline of forums, starting new ones and people joining them. I have seen so many forums close at a faster rate over the years. Many people that were once a big part of the forum community as a whole have left for good. Facebook would be the biggest contributing factor like @Cameron said. He summed everything up rather well. He took the words right out of my mouth. Everything is evolving at a fast rate on the Internet. So much so, that forums are having a hard time keeping up with the rest of the online world. I remember years ago that there were so many awesome forums that you just wanted to join them all.

Its true! I used to be apart of so many different forums back in the day.

Now I only browse here, reddit and occasionally facebook.

Its true! I used to be apart of so many different forums back in the day.

Now I only browse here, reddit and occasionally facebook.
Facebook has been so boring lately though. It's always the same ads...same newsfeed popping up. Its become habit to open it every few minutes or so if you have your phone out. I'm trying to stay off of my personal facebook so much and grow my business facebook instead. I've been focusing on growing the company as a whole.

Forums have more of the group feeling rather than groups on facebook.

Yeah! I feel like Facebook is a shell of what it used to be. I also made the mistake of joining my cities "rant and rave" page so now its 90% petty complaints, trolls, and confused old people. Occasionally theres something worth viewing, but I mostly check it out of habit - not because theres much to look at. Or someone will tag me in something.

Yeah! I feel like Facebook is a shell of what it used to be. I also made the mistake of joining my cities "rant and rave" page so now its 90% petty complaints, trolls, and confused old people. Occasionally theres something worth viewing, but I mostly check it out of habit - not because theres much to look at. Or someone will tag me in something.
I really dispise that...getting tagged in numerous things I have no care in the world for..

I also think that forums have gone quiet over the past 5 years. Rise of various social media platforms has given a sort of death blow to internet bulletin boards.

Why would someone come to a forum and post, when he/she can do the same thing on Reddit or Facebook?

A few reasons. Social media has grown and has become more popular. It's also partly the forum founder not spending enough time managing the community. i.e, promoting, moderating, posting himself, etc.

Social media is one reason. Forums are a place for people to connect with others. Social media can fill that void in some aspects.

Smart phones is the second. Everyone is on the internet on their phone now. Most forums are not mobile friendly and the ones that are aren't technically mobile friendly according to google. Ever since 2015 google punishes sites that are not mobile friendly. So forums are not popping up in search results as much.

Social media is one reason. Forums are a place for people to connect with others. Social media can fill that void in some aspects.

Between here, some larger forums, and FaceBook... I feel like honestly that I am able to be more connected here rather than those "larger" counterparts.

So in short I believe that smaller communities such as here can survive due to such "increased" interactions and "connections". :)

Between here, some larger forums, and FaceBook... I feel like honestly that I am able to be more connected here rather than those "larger" counterparts.

So in short I believe that smaller communities such as here can survive due to such "increased" interactions and "connections". :smiley:

I agree! I love a good small forum. However, I said in some aspects. Go on instagram for example. You'll see tons of kids running meme accounts. A few years ago those same kids would have been on forums posting the troll face all in threads. That's just one example. There's no denying social media has had an effect on forums.

Smaller communities can survive. At the same time small communities are extremely vulnerable. If you lose one or two people it can kill the whole forum. Larger communities can survive with an Administrator who just pays the bills every month.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds