Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Which one do you prefer?

Advertisement Placeholder
I prefer softlacious, however, I prefer doing manual if I can, as it's just easier that way(for me).

Softaculous by a mile. If my host has Fantastico installed there isn't any point in using it because the scripts aren't updated as often, I'll just do a manual install. :)

I think both installs old versions of the software which I dislike. Honestly, I prefer downloading the software from its official website and installing it myself. However I've used Softaculous (I think that's the one) once to setup a quick demo blog with the wordpress script (and maybe a dummy phpBB forum).

I am not using any auto-installers for my sites, it's better to do manual installations, not to mention that the forums I install are either on VB or XF, so they're not in a script repository on a hosting service (since you need a paid license for this). I did use Fantastico few times though more of a test and it was OK. Never heard about the other one.

I am not using any auto-installers for my sites, it's better to do manual installations, not to mention that the forums I install are either on VB or XF, so they're not in a script repository on a hosting service (since you need a paid license for this). I did use Fantastico few times though more of a test and it was OK. Never heard about the other one.

I disagree with you Dojo. In my experience an auto-install is just as good as a manual (having done both many times) and it is a lot faster. I think a lot of webmasters don't like the persona of 1 click installers because they're for "Newbs" but when you're setting up multiple sites it saves a lot of time. :)

I've never tried either of them since my hosting service already provides one-click installations for popular CMS, like Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, etc. so it never really occurred to me to even try them out. I personally love one-click installations, though. They're fast, usually the best version available (since the hosting's providing it), and I've never really had problems with them.

Im usually not a fan of one click installs. I have used them. it is useful in installing CMS's as far as im concerned.

I agree though with Sam. They do save time on a multi-site project.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds