Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

What turns you off on a forum?

Altair

Loyal member
Credits
What makes you decide you want to sign up for a forum ? what makes you decide not to sign up for a forum?

Advertisement Placeholder
When I visit a forum I like to see a clean layout and the forum looking clean. I also like to be able to look through and see a friendly community and not see anything that would be an off-put such as spam or even trolls making posts. Seeing a forum that has good moderation as well is something I look for.

The things that would turn me off are a messy layout, no care for what the forum looks like, moderation being nonexistent and spam taking over the forum.

Some of the following:
  • An ugly theme that doesn't have a good color combination, is too dark/light, or has too many images to load.
  • A disorganized/messy layout.
  • Toxic staff members.
  • Too many advertisements.
  • Drama everywhere.
Seriously, I have had a real tough experience with toxic staff members and I have had it up to here with them. I might be able to endure every other trash that goes on in a forum but not toxic staff members. Once I get a whiff of it, I'm gone immediately.

First thing is the theme and layout. It needs to flow well and be visually pleasing to the eye. I can't stand it when I go onto a forum and I'm greeted with the default theme or something that just looks scruffy. Too many sub-forums can also be a bit much as you feel like you're endlessly scrolling down the page, but it depends on how active the forum is.

I also find too many staff members a bit messy, especially for forums that have just launched. I don't see a need to have 3 admins and 5 moderators on a forum that hasn't been established yet.

Name and domain play a deciding factor for me too, I prefer forums that have custom domain names rather than subdomains from a free forum host etc...

Most sites' themes, ads etc. don't bother me. Probably the single *largest* turn-off are ungrateful people on forums who dismiss the hard work of others, and yet expect things to be made for them for free/cheap. The choosy-beggar people, many forums seem to attract them over time.

If a forum is too slow to load, there's nothing that I would be doing on it to begin with. If it manages to load fast and I find myself on it, if it's not peaceful to be on the forum and posts without any form of harassment from either members or staff, I would take my leave ASAP.

Most sites' themes, ads etc. don't bother me. Probably the single *largest* turn-off are ungrateful people on forums who dismiss the hard work of others, and yet expect things to be made for them for free/cheap. The choosy-beggar people, many forums seem to attract them over time.
Online begging can be very annoying. People don't do it often on forums by my observations but when you hit the social media especially Twitter and Facebook, it's worst there. I keep looking at people who take pride in being a disgrace to themselves.

I have not had any issues related to toxic or bad staff in years now. When forums were still popping yeah, of course.
Over the years that I have been on forums, I had never experienced what I did last year. It was horrible. I just learnt how to cut out myself from all the BS and move on immediately their $hit want to boil over.

"What turns you off on a forum?"

😄 Ahhhaha...pretty much everything about forums turns me both on & off . . . tis truly a most antipodean plight.

The people, the topics, the qualities, the collective characteristics visibly presenting for the real world individual user...

i've noticed you guys 'n' gals often discussing what i assume are some other types of competing forums(¿?)—

🤔—i can't think of any, other than XF,... unless maybe they all look alike??

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds