Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

What is your favorite ad-supported forum software?

Advertisement Placeholder
There are definitely others - SMF has a few (SMF4Free, CreateAForum) - but I'd never actually use any of them because I'd much rather be in control of the data and know that things like backups are my responsibility; I want my data where I can get at it.

I have to agree with @Arantor... I have NO desire to use a platform that decides to punish any possible users of mine with ads.... I run my site (and pay a chunk out of pocket) because I don't like ads... and several of the others in my niche either have ads or they are supported by a related business.
I prefer to be in total control of the platform and the environment.

Jcink has so much to offer for a free forum option that is ad-supported.
And the ads are the issue for myself and others.
In my time on the interwebz (remember, I started out in the BBS era)... I honestly can say I've gone to a "Jcink" related site exactly.... zero times.
Same with ProBoards... I've never hit a site hosted by them.
I prefer to hit sites that folks are at least willing to expend some financial investment into.
I have found that a couple of astronomy clubs host their discussion sites on ProBoards... but honestly after checking just now... the interface sucks salty male under hanging appendages.

What is the reason behind this, out of curiosity? Some people are poor or find better things to spend their finances on but can still create successful forums with free software.
Generally there are more "options" available from them (dedicated classifieds section, gallery, articles, etc).
Also, generally those that are willing to sink funds into a project have more interest in it than something that only costs them "time"...
Way to many of those "spin up for free" forums are a waste of time. I look at them the similar as I do with Reddit.... way too much chaff to filter through to get to any "wheat".

I can see their use if one has an interest but does not have the funds to get hosting and free scripts or even paid... but as I said, there are simply too many "junk" sites hosted on them... get mad because you got banned on a site? Go spin a free competitor up on "free ad-supported provider".

Also, generally those that are willing to sink funds into a project have more interest in it than something that only costs them "time"...
That makes sense. I mean, people that really pursue their hobbies will often find themselves so invested in them that they're willing to spend money on them.

There might be a lot of "junk"/unsuccessful forums on free forum software sites, but I think there are still a handful of ones that are successful through commitment and dedication. You can turn an empty lot into a beautiful home, just like you can create a "web space" for a functional forum, whether free or paid. A lot of people look down on free forum software, but if it has all of the features and utilities you need for a forum you envision, why would you spend the money when you don't necessarily need to?

Note that “free forum software” and “free forum hosting” are far from 100% overlaps.

I run createaforum.com which based on a modified SMF 2.0 and have some other forum hosting sites. Myself been in forum hosting since phpBB2 since 2005..
We do have social logins, allow custom domains and have a lot of main mods built in

Gallery is free, SEO urls, responsive theme, tapatalk support, portal ssytem.
Paid plans have Classifieds, Store, Downloads system, chat system, Ad Management. Which are also part of my paid addons for SMF https://www.smfhacks.com/community-suite.php

Demo forum: https://demoforum.createaforum.com

And for many they’re a sensible offering. I’d rather people use your service which is sensibly run, than badly do it themselves. It’s not for me personally, but I have recommended people there over the years.

Thanks I appreciate it. I am one of the few that didn't sell out when tapatalk came buying a lot of the forum hosting sites and before them crowdgather. They closed many platforms and combined services, lots of old history lost. I did meet with the old owner of proboards, and crowdgather at forumcon years ago by me.
Forum hosting isn't what It used to be but I keep it going. Mainly myself on reddit mostly just browsing seems to have filled the forum role.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds