Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

What are your thoughts on cultural assimilation?

Kane

Captain Junkie
Credits
These days you can see western culture dominating almost all cultures. Western culture is trying to suck up all other cultures. Do you think cultural assimilation is really good for the betterment of the society, or do you believe people should protect their cultural identity as culture actually defines who you are.

Advertisement Placeholder
I think it can get out of hand. Myself, I was in South Korea and there was this iconic view in this small town and lo an behold, a Dominos pizza restaurant lol. Anyway, it's not just happening outside of the USA, but also in the USA. In fact, there are too many chain stores and restaurants (Wal Mart, Mc Donalds, Dollar General etc.) making both urban and rural areas ugly.

Last edited:
Colonization is exactly what gave Western culture the dominance they have over other cultures in the world. Most countries that were colonized by westerners have seen most of their culture being related to the background.
In most countries that were colonized, the native culture is on decline. However, even in the countries that were not colonized, western culture is completely destroying the native culture. From food to clothes and lifestyle, the native cultures is losing to imported cultures.

In most countries that were colonized, the native culture is on decline. However, even in the countries that were not colonized, western culture is completely destroying the native culture. From food to clothes and lifestyle, the native cultures is losing to imported cultures.
I don't know if that's always the case. For instance, in China, American stuff was so popular once that couples wanted weddings at McDonalds. However, now the USA is seen more as a cultural rival rather than something to look up to.

Yes, I think that every country in the world should protect its national identity regardless of the people who come to the country, I think that is what makes a country unique and attractive in the eyes of others and in the eyes of its own citizens who feel identified with their homeland.

Instead of cultural assimilation, I think we need to protect our cultural identity. Our culture defines who we are, where we come from. However, it is also very important that you respect someone else's cultural rights.

I don't see the point in being an anti-foreign jerk. I guess the word here is "xenophobic". However, sometimes it's nice to enjoy the native culture and I don't want to see another ugly Dollar General store in the beautiful mountains where I'm from, at least not in the rural areas.

Dollar General isn't foreign. I suppose I could put in there something like "another Chinese restaurant". No offense to them, but you know what I mean. Actually, this sort of "native imperialism" is uglier than stuff from other countries. You know another McDonalds in rural America, another Kroger supermarket in the big city, while ignoring local stuff.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds