Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Vacation/Holiday Time Off

Liam

Loyal member
Credits
We were chatting about it at work the other day and discussing what recreation/vacation leave entitlements different companies give. For example, for Government here it’s 6 weeks recreation leave (paid time off) per year. We also accumulate long service leave which you can access after 10 years working at the same company (7.5 if Government).

I’ve heard that Canada is much less as I was looking at possibly getting transferring there a few years ago and the vacation time was pretty low compared to Aus.

Anyhow, how much vacation or holiday leave do you get a year? Is it paid time off? Can you accumulate leave longer than a year if you want to save it for a big trip for example?

Advertisement Placeholder
My company provides 30 leaves per year. 15 of which are called casual leaves, remaing are called earned leaves. At the start of the year, they give us 15 casual leaves, and the earned leaves are given at a rate of 1.25 per month. Along with the leaves, they give us 10 holidays a year and Saturday-Sundays are off always.

We need to utilize all the casual leaves by the end of the year otherwise they get wasted. For earned leaves, 10 of them can carry forward to the next year, remaining we shall use. So, it's pretty good to go for a long vacation like I'm on one right now. A 3 week leave. I've come home to spend time with my family as its festive season. 😁

no money to able to go aware I mean even just a day it cost so much
But even just taking some time off and relaxing is always nice. You don't need to go anywhere to enjoy some time off. Also gives you a good chance to get things done around the house (cleaning, gardening etc). Or lots of video game time xD
I get 10 days each year for paid time off, but these are sick days. They accumulate if you don't use them at least as well. As a teacher I naturally get June and mostly July off, however I don't get paid for this time off. I also get breaks such as Christmas break and etc, but it is also not paid.
Oh wow, that's so different from here. Our teachers get paid for their vacation leave (about 12 weeks per year) - such a good perk to have!

But even just taking some time off and relaxing is always nice. You don't need to go anywhere to enjoy some time off. Also gives you a good chance to get things done around the house (cleaning, gardening etc). Or lots of video game time xD

Oh wow, that's so different from here. Our teachers get paid for their vacation leave (about 12 weeks per year) - such a good perk to have!
I googled it and didn’t find that. I wonder if it is similar to us where we get paid x amount and we choose to divide it by 12 months. So our money never decreases even if there is a holiday. The only time money gets deducted is if you have used all your sick days and you miss a day.

I googled it and didn’t find that. I wonder if it is similar to us where we get paid x amount and we choose to divide it by 12 months. So our money never decreases even if there is a holiday. The only time money gets deducted is if you have used all your sick days and you miss a day.
Oh that’s interesting, I never thought of it like that. My mum works at a school so I’ll have to ask her and report back!

At my last job, I didn't get any vacation time but we did get paid holidays since we were closed on the eve of them. Other jobs went by how long you worked there and it was accumulated that, even for some of the employees(because I was manager and it automatic). 😍 In my new job, I know that we do get vacation time, which is PTO and paid holidays.

I get 20 days but as a "worker" it's not paid time off. I do get "double holiday pay" to compensate for that. But it does mean if I take 5 days off, I only get paid 3 weeks which is horrible really but in my line of work, manageable because I choose when to take it. Which is max 3 days per month until they're all gone. The overtime that I do, has to be taken as time off. So 20 days + whatever overtime you have saved up. It differs every year. 2 years ago I worked 3 weeks and had 1 week off every month. Last year I had 8 consecutive weeks off work. This year it's less because there's less work (still plenty to do overtime).

I live in the UK where the legal requirement is 5.6 weeks equivalent (i.e. if you work full time, typically 5 days a week, you're given a total of 28 days, being 5.6x the 5 day week), where usually but not always, the 8 national bank holidays are assumed to be part of that leaving 20 days for choosing when you take them.

I'm at a small company so we're at the legal requirement, but I've worked other places that started at 25 (chooseable) and adding another day per year of service up to a maximum of 35 (chooseable; as in you got the 8 bank holidays on top)

I'm always awful for taking leave because I find if I go, something bad happens.

Like @Arantor said, we get 28 days as a legal requirement.

Where I work, I get 25 days as my standard entitlement, plus 9 bank holidays (etxra one for being in Scotland for some reason). I do have to work some bank holidays, so where I do, that day gets put back into my own entitlement to use whenever I want. Plus we can do a salary sacrifice to buy 5 extra days per year, so I could end up with 39 days.

This year has been pretty good as it's 10 bank holidays with the additional Kings Coronation one, I've ended up with 35 days this year.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds