Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Username Change Requests

Advertisement Placeholder
I allow my members to change their usernames if they wish to though not too often. I know there are members who enjoy to change their usernames constantly, and that can get annoying after a while and confusing too.
The forum software that easily states what their previous usernames assists with this at least though. I'm thankful for how it appears on Xenforo.

I've set the permissions in XenForo to every six months. It can get pretty confusing when members change their username at the best of times, even more so when it's regularly. If they have a specific reason for changing their username, such as safety reasons or they misspelled it, then I'll be more than happy to manually change it. Otherwise they'll need to wait it out. Perhaps it can be a premium feature in the future.

I do allow them to change their usernames; however, I want to discourage them from doing it too often (so that it doesn't get confusing).

Therefore, I allow them to have their name change for free if their last one was more than six months ago - but if it was less than six months ago, then I charge them forum currency for it.

On phpBB I have the "can change username" permission disabled for all members, except myself (admin). I'm not against it per se - and if I was asked I would likely change it for them - but I'm not convinced it's necessary. I feel most reasons to change a name aren't good (i.e. they've garnered a negative reputation).

There's always the possibility of troublemaking and confusion, so rather then risk it I have it disabled. But, if asked, I would (But I don't advertise that fact!)

You can do it yourself on Proboards forums so I'm not fussed. People change it occasionally but on their mini profile we have the @ symbol which shows their original username anyway so confusion can't really be had.

On Proboards there is a difference between the Display Name & registered Username. i.e. on my forum, my username is Admin (it's the default for Proboards) but I changed my Display name to be ZandraJoi. For Proboards, regardless of the Display name, it doesn't change the Username & the tag for @. It makes it confusing when one is on a PB forum & tags with the DISPLAY name.
For this question, my members can easily change their Display name. If I was on a forum such as Xenforo where the @ tag would be different, then I would not want them to change so often. PB we can see who the person was that registered. XF & other platforms, I can get confused when the name changes!

One of the perks I have for my user upgrades on my forum is that anyone who makes that purchase and is a VIP on my forum has access to unlimited username changes during the duration of their user upgrade but then username changes will have to be moderated and approved before they show.

I feel if this was a feature I allowed all members to have access to, it would get abused and get out of hand quite quickly.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds