Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Two Factor Authentication

Sharon

Recognized member
Credits
This is something that we are trying to implement in our forum for extra security. I know it is available in most apps on my phone. I like being required to insert a pin before accessing important information like my bank information for instance. Is this something that you go out of your way to take advantage of?

Advertisement Placeholder
For pretty much everything I have, including all my 30 emails, all my forum accounts that offer it, if there is two factor authentication available, I will go out of my way to use it.

You cannot truly be hacked unless they are able to hack your email (or phone for some things). In this day an age I think two factor authentication is almost a must need for every forum and every software, with people being hacked and what not, it's just something you need to use in order to protect your accounts.

I even use it on Facebook, every time I login I have to have a little code to enter. I also get emails and login alerts whenever I login, to if someone was to login I would be able to stop them immediately. It's just something you have to have nowadays.

I think @Thomasss nailed it; given the world we live in and the constant fear and threats of being hacked, two-factor authentication is almost a must have for any kind of site, let alone admin control panels and bank accounts. If a software has two-factor authentication, and you get hacked while not using the available options, it's really only your fault.

If it's available; yes, I would go out of my way to utilize it. It adds extra security which is always good for obvious reasons. With the latest happenings around your forum over the past several months, I'd highly recommend using something like that if it is available to you. It'll help eliminate some of the issues you guys have had.

2FA (Two Factor Authentication) is always a must for me, my products, and other websites.

I've been trying to look for it for myBB as well but so far no luck other than having it for the admin control panel. I think it can be very important for extra security and its nice to be able to give the user the option of having extra protection for their account

I use two factor authentication on my forum but only for staff members since they have access to different things regular members don't.

I love the idea of two factor authentication. But, it's a pain since I use Incognito for my forum browsing and you have to do it every time.

Depending on what it is. Anything like my bank account, paypal, and email I have 2-factor Authentication. But for a forum, not really needed in my opinion.

I have never used it for a forum. I just don't think it's needed, to be honest. If you use a truly random password and do something like write it down on a sticky note, your chances of getting hacked are little to none. With that being said: it's defiantly a plus for bank accounts and such, but it's not really needed for forums.

Most websites and forums I don't enable two factor authenticaition. However, I enable two factor for banking and important websites to stop hackers and people who shouldn't be accessing my accounts. Right now, I have enough security in place across all my the accounts I own across the world wide web.

Technically, it's the best thing to do. Nonetheless, it causes problems with other admins. They always complain - so I turn that stuff off. In fact, now it's one the first things I do when installing a forum

I always have it enabled and recommend others do the same all the time. It's also good practice to not only use it on your forum but on everything you use personally should that service support it.

Yep. We have this now on our billing panel and admins are required to have it for security reasons.

It's a pain, but if I get my sites to a level where they are so big that it might be hacked I will use it.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds