Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Threads that have been done before?

MisterBobbyPin

Recognized member
Credits
What do you do about threads that have been done before? If they're like five months old or older and no one is posting on them I'll just let the new thread play out. But what about you, what would you do?

Advertisement Placeholder
I'd say having multiples of the same conversation really does depend on when the last reply was and also if the thread is still relevant (maybe something has changed since the original thread was made) and therefore would be acceptable to start a new topic. I love the feature where suggested threads are displayed when you're in the process of creating a new one as it helps prevent the same discussions being made again and again.

I would probably try and keep things streamlined by having one thread for each subject unless the older thread is not as relevant or contains outdated information. People may search and find the older thread before the newer thread somehow and post in it, so having one centralized thread allows for better organization and less repetitive topics, in my opinion.

Personally, I find it can be frustrating to come across threads that have been discussed before. Repetitive content can make it difficult to find new and interesting discussions, and can even discourage members from participating in the forum altogether. I would encourage members to use the search feature or look at the similar threads feature before creating a thread. A thread that has been posted before may contain some vital information and I would rather have that thread bumped even if it's an older one.

However, we can't blame a member as it's important to keep in mind that not all members may have seen the previous discussions, and some may even have new perspectives to contribute. It's also a difficult task for moderators to keep track of every single thread that has been created, especially in larger forums with a high volume of activity.

The very nature of the layout of forums (especially those that have a "drop dead" date for "new" posts) results in this.
People aren't going to go through tens (if not a hundred) pages to see if their topic has been mentioned, and for most scripts, the search engine using default mySQL sucks and rarely gives a valid return.
So, you have to expect two things:
Repeats of old posts
Necro Posting

I have no issues with either, as long is it brings in new (and on topic) conversation on the topic.

I think it really depends on the nature of the thread.

If it's something where people's answers are likely to have changed since the last time the thread was done (for example: "What is your opinion on X?"), then there's some merit to starting a new thread. This is especially true if the thread has a poll: in that case, it's probably better to start fresh, than to continue with an old poll where some people will be casting new votes, while others can't (or won't) change their old votes.

On the other hand, if it's the sort of thing where a given member's response will never change (e.g. "Where were you born?"), then I think it's probably better to revive the old thread (or, if someone else starts a new one, to merge the two together).

I used to merge threads if it seemed relevant enough. Sometimes the original topic took a turn and it wasn't really on topic anymore anyways, so I'll close that one and keep the new one. Just have to use your judgement. I personally do not mind necro posting (posting on a old topic) because they are posting on a topic and they are not spamming. Repeating a new topic - perhaps they came to the idea of the topic with a different idea or angle that would have more members participate in the conversation than the original one.

If the older thread is several pages back, and hasn't been posted in for months I would definitely let the newer thread slide. I think it's a big ask for staff to remember every thread that has ever been posted on a board.

I'll give an example using Christianity Haven...

If someone comes on there and posts a vague Baptism thread question and then another member comes on with a more specific question about Baptism, then that's perfectly fine.

If someone comes on there and posts the same thread in two forums, that is pointless so we trash one of them and use the forum that is more fitting.

If someone comes on and posts on baptism, but it's more of personal nature even though it's similar to the one old Joe posted last week, we allow it because the person wants members to address his post.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds