Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Staff working on competitor sites ?

Website
agoraforo.com
Credits
I wanted to start a discussion today about staff working at competitor sites. I think this is a relevant topic that many of us have probably encountered at some point or another.

When we come across staff members who used to work at our competitor sites, it can be a bit unsettling. On one hand, it's great to have experienced people join our team. But on the other hand, we might worry about them having insider knowledge about our competition.

So what do you all think about this? How do you handle it when staff from competitor sites come to work for us? Do you have any specific policies in place for dealing with this situation?

Personally, I believe in giving everyone a fair chance and judging them based on their performance and work ethic, regardless of their previous employment. But I also understand the importance of being cautious and protecting our information.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this matter. Let's have an open and respectful discussion!

Advertisement Placeholder
I think if they can commit themselves to your forum and engage and promote activity, then they should be given the chance to take on a staff role. With that comes trust, and you will have to trust that they won’t go back and forward with confidential information and upcoming plans.

That being said, it could be a conflict of interest, and in some jobs (maybe most?) that is not allowed. I understand most moderator positions are just voluntarily, especially on these types of forums, but you must still act with integrity.

One thing I have noticed though, and absolutely no disrespect or shade at all to anyone, but I’ve been browsing different forums over the past couple of weeks, and a lot of them I’ve seen have the same users and same staff members. Without derailing the thread, from someone outside looking in (me for example), it’s quite off putting and I’ve chosen not to sign up for a few forums because I don’t see the point in spreading myself over various places speaking to the same people, responding to the same threads.

One thing I have noticed though, and absolutely no disrespect or shade at all to anyone, but I’ve been browsing different forums over the past couple of weeks, and a lot of them I’ve seen have the same users and same staff members. Without derailing the thread, from someone outside looking in (me for example), it’s quite off putting and I’ve chosen not to sign up for a few forums because I don’t see the point in spreading myself over various places speaking to the same people, responding to the same threads.
Oh yeah, for sure. I too have noticed so many forums have the same users and staff too. It's because the forum world is so much smaller and different these days. I honestly don't really blame anyone for not joining forums where it is mostly the same people and such.

I wouldn't mind having a staff member that was also part of a competitor's site as long as they didn't leak information or steal our unique ideas.

When I worked at Walmart I couldn't work at some other competing stores, it was against their policy. I don't really understand why this policy is in effect for just an average employee like me that was just a stockboy. I can maybe understand it for upper management, however.

I think as long as the staff member fits the criteria for the job and does it well then they can be staff wherever they wish, with the aforementioned taken into consideration.

registering in many forums is the same as repeating yourself..
Yeah, it is. I've honestly been to so many forums where it truly is the same members and sometimes staff. I dunno why, but it doesn't really bother me as much.
I wouldn't mind having a staff member that was also part of a competitor's site as long as they didn't leak information or steal our unique ideas.
Agreed. If you are joining staff just to steal ideas and/or concepts from a similar genre/niche forum that is a bit sad IMO. If they do that they don't need to be a staff member.

Each forum has a unique objective, taking into account that currently many communities deal with topics in general which makes everyone resemble the rest

As long as the person can commit to working on your site alongside other sites then I don't have a problem with my staff working on a competitor's site. These days since forums aren't as big as they once were, we need to stick together to keep forums alive. You're bound to come across the same people with the same goals.

Did you make the staff member sign a Non-Compete clause?

If not, you have no legal standing.

At a broader level, since I'm assuming most admins on here are not approaching their forums at a professional level, you can view it as a positive. Those staff members are seeing different styles of content, posting, administration and can be a source of comparative knowledge. Instead of begrudging them, invite them to share why they see value in those other forums.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds