Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Staff Chat Board

Sam1

Mythical member
Website
holderhost.com
Credits
What do you think about having a staff only general chat board? I personally think it's a waste and it bloats up the hidden post count WHILST keeping staff away from the forums they should be moderating... :)

Advertisement Placeholder
In my opinion, a single forum ( not a whole category ) dedicated for staff discussions is necessary in any forum. Private messages don't work unless you're on scripts like xenforo which supports group conversation. Even with this method, its hard to find a certain topic in history.

Well, here we have the obligatory staff board in which we keep all our secret ninja discussions in but we try not to post new posts as much as we can so that the overall board post count is not super inflated. We actually tend to just edit our posts and tag whoever when we need to make a statement, idea etc. Helps us keep the count down. :D

Well, here we have the obligatory staff board in which we keep all our secret ninja discussions in but we try not to post new posts as much as we can so that the overall board post count is not super inflated. We actually tend to just edit our posts and tag whoever when we need to make a statement, idea etc. Helps us keep the count down. :D

And we use the PM system quite well too :)

And we use the PM system quite well too :)
Yes, but what will happen when new staff joins the team, having to view those discussions. Sending a private message to each and every staff member can be time consuming and everyone will most likely be unable to participate in the discussion.

Yes, but what will happen when new staff joins the team, having to view those discussions. Sending a private message to each and every staff member can be time consuming and everyone will most likely be unable to participate in the discussion.

We use the PM system dependant upon what the issue is really. Core issues which need all staff participation are what we talk about within our staff board here but for myself and the rest of the team here, we just tend to use the PM system for small issues or stuff that doesn't need much talking about in all honesty. If a new member were to join the team, it would take me like 20 minutes to write something up to talk them through the process of being here but in all honesty, I don't believe this team will change for a long time (But hey, you never know) so I don't foresee such a problem just yet. But, you have given me a new idea for our staff section with that comment so I thank you there. :p

Its not really time consuming with XF's system though (Personally) All I have to do is click 'Invite' and in comes a new participant who can read the conversation. I see what you mean about participation though, it does get hard at times in a personal message conversation and it is only the three of us here, haha.

Haze, in XF, can participants who're invited later, read previously made conversations?
If yes, that would be good and bad at the same time

Haze, in XF, can participants who're invited later, read previously made conversations?
If yes, that would be good and bad at the same time

I'm pretty sure they can, Sam would be the one to ask as he gets invited into a lot of mine and Xploiters conversations. xD But yes, it is partially good and bad but when (on this team anyway) we're as open as anything anyway and we don't really care who knows what so its ok for us. I can see how it could be a problem though. If I remember correctly, the original participants do not get a notification if someone were to join the convo. xD

When I employ staff, I always have a hidden area for us to talk about the community, new things to add etc. It's not a chat board, it's a serious discussion place, that's not accessible outside the staff ranks. Pretty useful when you want to keep your people in the loop and not have the entire community read the stuff there.

What do you think about having a staff only general chat board? I personally think it's a waste and it bloats up the hidden post count WHILST keeping staff away from the forums they should be moderating... :)
If you are meaning general shoot-the-breeze boards exclusive for staff. I do not agree with this idea. My thought is the staff is to have a section, but its business about the board.

I think a Staff Forum is a must, without one the forum feels empty. It promotes discussion and can help the forum in the long run. I don't really care if it boosts the post count up as a VIP only forum would do that (;)) and it's usually not a big deal. A staff forum is really for serious discussion anyways so 9 times out of 10 it wouldn't become another general discussion board. Plus when a new staff member is promoted they are usually happy to see a new secret area. :p

Staff forums are always a plus in my eyes, most staff don't like to post in them any way so the post count there is restricted to important issues. The PM system is a better alternative in my opinion, but having a staff forum is essential for archiving and having open discussions with other staff about a troublesome member etc

Staff forums are always a plus in my eyes, most staff don't like to post in them any way so the post count there is restricted to important issues. The PM system is a better alternative in my opinion, but having a staff forum is essential for archiving and having open discussions with other staff about a troublesome member etc

We certainly do that here, believe me. We've all had to tell each other off at times because we're posting way too much, haha. We resorted to edit posts with the "@" tags at one point to cut down on the posting, haha. We do utillise the PM system much more though.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds