Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Portals on forums

shadowslight

Renowned member
Website
soothingchaos.com
Credits
So Im fairly sure every one here knows what a portal is, and I would like to get your opinions on the subject as this is a modification i'm considering for my site.

they usually consist of sidebars with various gadgets, info on the site, etc etc, with the option to by pass it and go directlly to your board index.

thoughts?

Advertisement Placeholder
As far as I am concerned, portals are not a good idea on forums. I don't like the cluttered UI of a portal. I would prefer to go into the board directly than look for something on the portals. Forums are for user interactions and not for reading and not posting stuffs. Another thing is, if you didn't implement the portal correctly, the idea backfires.

Anyway this is just my personal opinion. And I am sure there are lots of people who consider portals to be a good addon for their forums. And of course there are lots of forums which have implemented it very nicely without ruining the community feel.

I think they're good if you have an established forum and here's why:

- They provide extra advertising space.
- They allow you to recognize members and important news by placing it on your portal.
- They can help in terms of SEO.

But for newer forums, they just annoy members :p

I've never liked them personally, there are some good points in it but I usually get annoyed by it. I feel like an actual website homepage would be better than just a portal.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds