Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Phpbb vs Mybb

Which do you prefer?

• Phpbb

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Mybb

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
Advertisement Placeholder
I used to work with phpBB years ago and loved it. Then I discovered MyBB and never looked back. Well, to be honest I am not using mybb anymore either, I use vb and xenforo for my sites. Still, when it comes to free scripts, myBB would be my first choice.

I finally created my forum two weeks ago. I am using Mybb. I used Phpbb in the past, but I find it really hard to customize. Mybb has a lot of plugins that I can install easily without even have to touch any code of my forum. Just upload and activate. That's what I love of Mybb.

However, Xenforo looks terrific. I don't have the money to buy the licence, but if I had the money, I would be using Xenforo instead.

I finally created my forum two weeks ago. I am using Mybb. I used Phpbb in the past, but I find it really hard to customize. Mybb has a lot of plugins that I can install easily without even have to touch any code of my forum. Just upload and activate. That's what I love of Mybb.

However, Xenforo looks terrific. I don't have the money to buy the licence, but if I had the money, I would be using Xenforo instead.
Wait. We might be having a contest here with xenforo as the first prize . :)

Between those two, Mybb is the better of the choices. But if you ever decide to go the pay route, you'll find you'll have much better choices.

Ha, ha! I guess I am the only one that voted for phpBB. I have worked with the software since it was in version 2.0

I guess its because im used to working with it so much that doing things, modifying codes, templates, etc it becomes second nature.

from a user standpoint, navigating the ACP, might be somewhat confusing, but if youre self reliant, I would look up knowledgebase articles and such. on my site i've got the ACP customized with my sites logo and customized tabs, modules.

Its kind of like riding a bike, I think. Practice makes perfect

Ha, ha! I guess I am the only one that voted for phpBB. I have worked with the software since it was in version 2.0

I guess its because im used to working with it so much that doing things, modifying codes, templates, etc it becomes second nature.

from a user standpoint, navigating the ACP, might be somewhat confusing, but if youre self reliant, I would look up knowledgebase articles and such. on my site i've got the ACP customized with my sites logo and customized tabs, modules.

Its kind of like riding a bike, I think. Practice makes perfect
I understand, and respect the fact that there are some, who prefer to do more than just upload and enable plugins / mods ( as in Mybb ). But my question is, when there's something that's readily available for you, why is the hard way preferred?

Call me odd like that lol, Im just used to it i guess. I've tried mybb, but i am not the fondest of it. Maybe its because i'm just used to the way that phpBB operates and as such, its hard to adapt

I'm probably the only one here that thinks mybb is more complicated to work with. I think the thing that got me was user management. Either I"m too used to the way phpBB does things or i just dont get along with myBB but i was trying to do group customiztions and such. Never realy got far in it

I'm probably the only one here that thinks mybb is more complicated to work with. I think the thing that got me was user management. Either I"m too used to the way phpBB does things or i just dont get along with myBB but i was trying to do group customiztions and such. Never realy got far in it
Hi, may i know what group customizations you wanted to make?

Well, from what I've used of phpBB the moderation side of things is just horrible for myself and I got so frustrated whenever I had to use it. The ACP side of things is much worse though, I nearly cried last time I had to use it!

Well, from what I've used of phpBB the moderation side of things is just horrible for myself and I got so frustrated whenever I had to use it. The ACP side of things is much worse though, I nearly cried last time I had to use it!
hm, its always come across as easy to me, maybe not so much when it came to moderating things in version2.0 but 3.0, with the quick mod tools, it seems pretty easy to me. As far as the ACP, I do believe that bare bones phpbb3 has a description of every function each module handles, the layout perhaps isnt the best thing, but I had solved this by creating a custom tab in the ACP, and in it my most commonly used functions. Everything from user management to database backup. It saved a lot of time from searching different tabs in the ACP for a particular function

i've even started my acp customizations... instead of the phpbb logo, rather my own is used as shown below

Image2.jpg

Well for myself, layout is everything which is probably why I love XF's ACP and I am more visual which again is something which XF appeals to myself so it is probably why. Everything is personal opinion though I suppose eh. I just haven't looked at phpBB in like...10 months so I don't know how it has changed since then though.

Nice to see you customizing it though! Make it pretty and give it back to the phpBB team >_> xD

Well, let me tell you a little more about myself, I was a support for the forum host Forumer.com, and it was my job to make sure i knew the software in and out...at the time, i was the only one really that had interest in phpBB so it was quite an undertaking. But thats how i ended up knowing what i know xD

lets see 10 months... last you seen it it was in 3.0.9, newest is 3.0.10. not too much changed

I've never seen a XF ACP, nor will i ask in this thread to see it as it would be off topic lol

as far as the last part, Im not sure where I would begin to do that xD

Well, we have a 'guru' in phpBB at least anyway, haha. I suppose it is more what I have used more than phpBB as opposed to using the software to its full extent. I've had dabbling but not like a full undertaking in it to be quite honest. I am going to be using the system soon enough for a guide I am producing for here (Don't worry, I'll double check with you if its correct, haha!) so maybe I'll appreciate it more after that. I am just more used to MyBB/IPB and XF than phpBB and VB/SMF so yeh.

I'll happily give you a picture, lol. Wouldn't be too off-topic. :p

Ojvq7.png

Go learn and tell us how ;) haha. :p

very colorful. I guess i do see what you mean by layouts and such. As you said before, its a matter of preference/opinion :)

If i'm not too mistaken I believe i could accomplish a similar feat in phpBB, but definetly gonna spend some time in the codings to get it right... the only bad thing about all these customizations, whenever they update the core software, most the handwritten code gets scrapped when you update, but it makes for good practice in updating your mods and such :D

Honestly, if you did that in phpBB I would give you many internets for the win you would've bestowed upon phpBB. Make it different from XF for copyright reasons though but then give it to the main devs so it can be included as core cause that would be awesome. :p But yeh, but the amount they update I doubt it would be a problem for a long while, haha. Have you made any mods or such yet?

my foruming experiences, run with phpBB and Vbulletin, I haven't yet made a custom mod (you'd be surpised at how hard those things are to develop and get passed), as I would want to make a mod that didnt have what one or the other had (phpbb vs vb)... so it makes for a lot of ideas.

Usually my mods in phpbb are very basic...tweaks to the original code to suit my needs. The biggest thing with phpBB i've found though, is that all mods/styles etc, are based off of two styles: prosilver and subsliver. and the latter is a pain to work with, but not impossible. (hence the few problems i have with my about us pag on my site)

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds