Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Money makes a great forum?

Martee

Mythical member
Credits
Do you think that you need money to make a forum great? I mean sure, money can help but surely it isn't the be-all and end-all of things when it comes to forums. I'm sure we all monetize our forums as best we can but would you say that if you do that at the expense of not carving a great community, are you missing out on making a good forum?

My point is, does craving money for your forum actually make it great in the long run or do you miss out on making it great in the beginning due to your focus on money.

If that makes sense.

Advertisement Placeholder
Yes it kills a forum to have too many ads to start with and too much trying to encourage premium memberships etc. However, forums are like any other website and although they are never going to make huge returns they need to be able to give the owner a reasonable amount for their invested time and cover all costs.....

Well, I am not here to work for free, that's for sure. Have done it in the past. After 10 years or running sites, I'd like to get some money off my work, so yes, I do have ads and hope they'll bring me revenue. I have spend thousands of dollars in my network, fortunately I also earn some decent revenue already. Money is important, when it comes to running a site. It allows you to get a decent script, a good design (if you're not a web designer), promotion etc.

A very good point flame, definitely sums up what I was trying to say better than how I said it, lol. That is actually a quote that admins should live by though!

I don't worry about money at all if it comes in the way of ads or donations I'm happy but I don't even think about it.
I would rather have active members then money.

Active members is definitely more important.... that'll eventually lead to a profit..... Focusing too much on profit maximization when running a forum is a recipe for disaster...

And definitely something we see more of in todays world sadly. It seems not many people are focusing on the community today but rather the dollar signs which is sad. Forums are about community, not money.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds