Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Members who ask questions

Martee

Mythical member
Credits
What do you do with members that ask constant questions about everything? They may be new and want to know everything about everything but do you get annoyed with them and tell them to go away or do you do your best to help them out?

Advertisement Placeholder
Well, we all are humans, so there will be a point where you get annoyed. So imo once you get annoyed because of too many questions, its better to ask some of the other staffs to handle that person for a while!

Why would you want to tell someone that asks questions to go away? I'm not sure if anyone will do such a thing. Sure, you can get to the point of ignoring the person but to tell 'em go away, :eek:. Anyway, to answer this question :sneaky: - no, I don't tell them to go away. I answer their question IF I see it.

Why would you want to tell someone that asks questions to go away? I'm not sure if anyone will do such a thing. Sure, you can get to the point of ignoring the person but to tell 'em go away, :eek:. Anyway, to answer this question :sneaky: - no, I don't tell them to go away. I answer their question IF I see it.
Well we are not saying one or two questions. May be 5 to 10 questions everyday byt he same person! Thats simply annoying and only the forum owner will be patient enough to answer these amount of queries.

Well we are not saying one or two questions. May be 5 to 10 questions everyday byt he same person! Thats simply annoying and only the forum owner will be patient enough to answer these amount of queries.
Still, I'm not going to tell the person to go away. Unless they're asking questions like, "can I be a moderator?", "can I have your admin password?", "can I get your website for free?", stuff like that. Heck, I encourage members to ask questions. That way, they can use the forum more effectively and at the end of the day, it's win:win.

Basically I remember that I was one a complete Newbie and people grow out of that stage. However, when I get annoyed is when beginner webmasters don't accept advice and don't learn (or expect others to do everything for them- even if it's a simple php script install).

Another point: By treating them poorly, you encourage Newb bashing on your forum (which you get on DP).

Another point: By treating them poorly, you encourage Newb bashing on your forum (which you get on DP).
DP is filled of idiots asking stupid questions (eg. what is a search engine / not exactly this question but it gives you an idea) that they can do a search and find themselves. They even only start the new threads to promote their signature links or to pad their postcount for the sake of selling it. Most of 'em are not genuine members seeking real knowledge.

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that. I don't visit that site often but I do go for a lurk every now and then just for a laugh in all honesty. Some of the stupidity over there is abhorrent. Like you said, most of the stuff can be searched so why can't they just go and do it? And I realised that as I asked the main question and didn't give my opinion. I shall give my opinion now. :p

OP - If I had a member which was asking me constant questions BUT questions which related to the site, what we do and that I would be more than happy to answer them and help them in any way because that is what I believe in doing and I believe it sets a good precedent, especially if that member is new to the community. I do however, get annoyed when people ask me lots of silly questions (Your example Marc comes to mind but again, gives you an idea) which can easily be tapped into Google is what annoys me. I would still help them but I would be seething with rage behind the scenes, haha. Depends on the context I suppose. Some people don't like generic responses from Google (Like myself) and sometimes prefer people answers (If you get me). I really hate typing something into google and getting some opinionated websites view. I always tend to steer in the direction of places like Yahoo Answers and forums because I believe some of the time, the answers I get there are actually more suited to the way I 'research' I suppose. Its all preference there though. (Off topic, but hey :p)

What do you do with members that ask constant questions about everything? They may be new and want to know everything about everything but do you get annoyed with them and tell them to go away or do you do your best to help them out?
I am usually not hesitant to answer a few questions. On my site, I have a guide section, where I will refer them to after they've asked me multiple things. But i don't point them off in a negative way

Personally I ask a lot of questions, it's a bad habit but Haze has seen plenty of questions from me haha.

I think there is a degree of questions until it starts getting annoying. I would answer any question as best as I can and usually you won't see another for a while if handled correctly. Then there are the members who are just clueless and then you point them to the help documents heheh.

Personally I ask a lot of questions, it's a bad habit but Haze has seen plenty of questions from me haha.

I think there is a degree of questions until it starts getting annoying. I would answer any question as best as I can and usually you won't see another for a while if handled correctly. Then there are the members who are just clueless and then you point them to the help documents heheh.

I must be honest, I saw a member recently on another forum who could not grasp the basics of ordering a promotional service. I must say, I was sitting in my chair thinking 'what the f is wrong with you?' but then I realised that if that happened here I would answer politely and help them so I felt bad. :(

And I love your questions darling.

I am fine with a lot of questions, honestly. I can live with it, makes me feel needed :p

The problem I have is when trolls come by and ask EVERYTHING about ANYTHING and fill up my inbox with 30 PM's each asking a different question. That's when I'm like: FUUUUUUUUUUUU /ban hammer

I am fine with a lot of questions, honestly. I can live with it, makes me feel needed :p

The problem I have is when trolls come by and ask EVERYTHING about ANYTHING and fill up my inbox with 30 PM's each asking a different question. That's when I'm like: FUUUUUUUUUUUU /ban hammer
Banhammer? You sure you mean that or is the post whoring screwing you up? :p

Point them to the help section and if not, then just ignore em.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds