Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Inactive staff members

Advertisement Placeholder
Ask him to be active again, if he has a valid reason not to be I let it pass if not and he continues to be inactive i just fire him/her.

When I ran ForumHoopla, David wasn't being active as a staff member so I sent him a Pm about it and we agreed that he should step down- for a younger forum, inactive staff can mean death!

When I ran ForumHoopla, David wasn't being active as a staff member so I sent him a Pm about it and we agreed that he should step down- for a younger forum, inactive staff can mean death!
It is death :) If you have staff that's inactive and you are posting like crazy people will think "Look only the admin is posting, it seems that this forum isn't worth hanging around"

You should ask them if they would like to continue working for you on your forum and if they say no, well then at least you have a reason in your mind to 'fire' them. I found it quite hard to fire staff on my own forum so at least asking them kind of helps.

i have trouble separating professional from friend - i have found myself considering staff who started out as professional acquaintances to be friends - i run staff boards for discussing admin stuff away from the main membership and it gets friendly. i have then found myself in the position of keeping on staff who have simply not kept up with the professional development and are dead weight simply because they havent actually done anything wrong and i consider them a friend.

i have trouble separating professional from friend
So its not only me? :p
I mean once you run a forum/some-other stuffs together for sometime, I will start considering them as friends! And then how can you fire a friend + considering all the work s/he has done in the past for the same thing!

A very true point you both make. Keeping your professional needs separate is always a strain but it is natural to build up a relationship with someone you are working with. I don't know about people like Sam and xpl0iter but I see them both as friends but I would still expect Sam to tell me off if I do something wrong (Even if he isn't staff :p) and xpl0iter to fire me should I break my boundaries as a staff member.

It is hard though, and I have seen it on many forums where a staff member is kept around simply because they are friends with other staff, members or even the owner. It's just breaking that cycle and thinking its for the greater good.

So its not only me? :p
I mean once you run a forum/some-other stuffs together for sometime, I will start considering them as friends! And then how can you fire a friend + considering all the work s/he has done in the past for the same thing!
As long as they do the job there is no need for firing staff but when its needed you can't show mercy or your forum is gonna pay for your good heart XD

It doesn't really matter if you run a larger forum if a few staff, whom you obviously like, are never on. When you run a smaller forum, you can't be as lenient- so it's a good idea to be prepared to fire everyone whom you hire....

Indeed, Allan. As you make friends you would expect they would tell you but thats the internet for you. You never truly know someone over the 'net.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 6)

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds