Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Immediately ban?

Advertisement Placeholder
I use a points system that generally only has imminent bans for grievous offenses (like illegal content). However, it is set up in a manner that allows first-time offenders to get warnings without actions or short-term bans (normally 24hr), but for repeat offenders to bank points and basically get a longer ban each time.

I've had a few people years ago join and start sending really awful videos to people by PM, animal abuse and other stuff. They got banned straight away.

I think illegal activities and sick content like Elseb said would be great offenses for immediate bans
This is true. I feel like each community needs to draw a line on where instant bans sit. E.g. a site dedicated to games rated MA might just want to offer a warning or a soft ban if a user posts say a GIF with nudity, but a site that focuses on children's games might want to just instant ban that user. Although I would say most sites should all be on the instant ban side for offenses that check all the boxes, like underaged items and such.

This is true. I feel like each community needs to draw a line on where instant bans sit. E.g. a site dedicated to games rated MA might just want to offer a warning or a soft ban if a user posts say a GIF with nudity, but a site that focuses on children's games might want to just instant ban that user. Although I would say most sites should all be on the instant ban side for offenses that check all the boxes, like underaged items and such.
I had a user once on another community I ran. He would use an avatar of a cartoon character that was naked from behind. I really didn’t think it was too inappropriate but a few people reported it and threaten to leave if he didn’t change it. Those few people were really active on the forum that contributed a lot. So I wanted to please them. I often wonder if that was the right choice.

I had a user once on another community I ran. He would use an avatar of a cartoon character that was naked from behind. I really didn’t think it was too inappropriate but a few people reported it and threaten to leave if he didn’t change it. Those few people were really active on the forum that contributed a lot. So I wanted to please them. I often wonder if that was the right choice.
It is a hard choice to make, although I'd personally say that it is better to side against nudity and such if that isn't a part of the forum itself. Although it sounds like the avatar wasn't technically nude and only implied it would be nude if looked at from behind. That is a tough call.

You banned that member?

You didn't change the avatar?

And then you have users who decide to "ban" a site. Sometimes a user will get fed up with the administration of a site and take the ultimate step.
I introduce you to user Username 13511 over at TAZ...I requested that they delete my account. So don't try to find me over there.
You had yourself deleted there?

I think we've known each other for a decade over there!

I'm still a member but not as active.

Yeah... I averaged about 80 posts a month over there.... and last time I checked, they were VERY limited on who was posting (about a month ago), and most of the posts remained the standard BS that lead me to leave there. And honestly.... don't miss it a bit.
I've had many good conversations with @Tracy over there in recent times. Someone may say there were more of battles at times, but I always felt that they were both respectable and much more of a conversation than what I see over here as of late.

Yeah... I averaged about 80 posts a month over there.... and last time I checked, they were VERY limited on who was posting (about a month ago), and most of the posts remained the standard BS that led me to leave there. And honestly.... don't miss it a bit.
Well, definitely keep coming here :) even if we're quieter here. I've always enjoyed your company.

Think they are now owned by Threadloom... not sure if they own any other forums or not.
What's so funny to me... they have a big old link in their footer for Threadloom that links to fora.... only problem is, when you click the hyperlink, you get this

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 3.30.35 AM.png

Really something to be proud of for a "premier" web admin site.

The most interesting conversations in community management haven't happened on TAZ in several years.

Back to the OP, anything that poses an immediate legal risk. I ban, not delete, so I can store the member profile for future auditing purposes and add a quick note.

I ban, not delete, so I can store the member profile for future auditing purposes and add a quick note.
And this is something I don't understand why admins do.... if the behavior was bad enough, why do you want to delete the user and usually lose ALL that tracking information.
Simply ban them and if your software has the ability, also "discourage" their account.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds