Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Huge Forum

Martee

Mythical member
Credits
Would like to run a really huge forum one day? One that gets thousands of posts a day consistently? Nevermind about revenue for this question though, would like to run a really active community or would you hate to run an active one?

Personally, I'd love it because it gives me more people to talk too!

Advertisement Placeholder
to be honest i am really not sure - and it would depend on the character of the community in question. i can see it being mega stressful - but then again maybe if its that busy it brings enough money to pay staff.

It sure would, I can imagine some huge communities just being havens for all that is nasty within the internet due to the size of it yet there will surely be some which have enough community spirit to maintain a friendly atmosphere. Also true though, a big forum would mean big money!

i mean call me demented or egotistical or whatever but the forum/community i am planning on setting up is very much a general social one - and the biggest on that stage seems to be digital spy - although it brands itself as entertainment/digital television. that one is huge but having spent a couple of weeks there researching i have to say it is not that good - navigation etc is very unclear, or at least i find it so.

the forum i really rate as something to aspire to is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forum.php - i love just about everything they do and how they do it

I don't think I would anymore :) I like being on forums, but running them and getting it to become huge would be really hard!!! I used to think it's be cool but I'd rather run something else that's really successful.....

TSR is an amazing forum flame , its even one that I actually aspired to be like one day when I ran my own forum. They do what they do very well and the resources I they offer are brilliant, don't think many people could top them. I wish you luck with what you're setting up though!

Sam, its hard but really rewarding from what I hear. I preside over a forum where there is alot of members and posts and even thats good enough!

i must admit i am working on the theory that these days a site will have to offer more than just a forum. my long term plans are more community with games room, shopping centre, advice articles etc - something along the lines of ivillage but focused around the forum part

I'd love to who wouldn't :D It would be awesome if i could have such a huge forum :D..I got a forum but it has 3k posts and only 70 posts per day :S

I'd love to who wouldn't :D It would be awesome if i could have such a huge forum :D..I got a forum but it has 3k posts and only 70 posts per day :S

Which forum is that? You don't have anything in your signature! Remember this site is PR1!!!

i must admit i am working on the theory that these days a site will have to offer more than just a forum. my long term plans are more community with games room, shopping centre, advice articles etc - something along the lines of ivillage but focused around the forum part

That's a good theory flame and one that I would say is absolutely true. I find myself immersing myself in a forum on big sites whilst enjoying the content that surrounds the core community. For one thing, it keeps visitors coming back as its not just a forum per se but it can also give things to talk about. Once again, you just have to look at TSR!

Shole, that's better than nothing remember. From humble beginnings, something great grows!

Which forum is that? You don't have anything in your signature! Remember this site is PR1!!!

I believe this is @Shole's site but correct me if I am wrong Shole! - http://www.promotioncentral.info/index.php

That's a good theory flame and one that I would say is absolutely true. I find myself immersing myself in a forum on big sites whilst enjoying the content that surrounds the core community. For one thing, it keeps visitors coming back as its not just a forum per se but it can also give things to talk about. Once again, you just have to look at TSR!

Shole, that's better than nothing remember. From humble beginnings, something great grows!

I believe this is @Shole's site but correct me if I am wrong Shole! - http://www.promotioncentral.info/index.php
Correct its Promotion Central and yeah I like it but still I want to get more posts per day like 100 per day so I can reach the 5k milestone faster :) . I had the luck to start this forum with very qualified staff members who know how to keep it active.

No, that would be too time consuming. Even with help, I have a need to oversee everything. A huge forum simply won't work for me

What I want is for my forum to have a core group who are constantly active

The question isn't whether if you'd like to run a super active forum. The question is what are your objectives and value propositions to bring thousands of people to your forum? Sometimes we ask all of the wrong questions entirely backwards; we WANT more members, we WANT more activity, but we don't ask what steps we're taking to get there.

I would only run such a forum if I had a massive staff team. Right now, I'm flying solo on my board and have been for years. It doesn't get much posting activity since most people go there for the resources. I'm nearing 1800 members and 17000 posts, but I've been open for 5+ years, so it's probably not much in comparison to how long the board has been online.

Speaking of large boards, does anyone remember the site, big-boards.com?

I would only run such a forum if I had a massive staff team. Right now, I'm flying solo on my board and have been for years. It doesn't get much posting activity since most people go there for the resources. I'm nearing 1800 members and 17000 posts, but I've been open for 5+ years, so it's probably not much in comparison to how long the board has been online.

Speaking of large boards, does anyone remember the site, big-boards.com?
I remember Big Boards. How long has it been since they closed it down?
Would like to run a really huge forum one day? One that gets thousands of posts a day consistently? Nevermind about revenue for this question though, would like to run a really active community or would you hate to run an active one?

Personally, I'd love it because it gives me more people to talk too!
Honestly, yes. It would be amazing just to own a huge online community and it’s my goal to one day have one.

i’ve seen some really huge forums over the years. I’m active on a rap/hip hop forum that’s been around for awhile and it has over 25 million posts.

I know Gaia Online is one of the biggest forums around.

You can't really do it yourself. Just being a passive owner is not very nice, being a proactive owner is a heckton of work and requires a strong staff buffer along with that. It would be interesting if AJ had huge forum staff/owners as participants though.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds