Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

How not to run your forum!

Sam1

Mythical member
Website
holderhost.com
Credits
Forum Management appears to involve a lot of hard work, some knowledge and perhaps a smidgen of luck. I say a smidgen of luck because it is not the primary aspect but getting a few very active members early on is often just luck. There is no correct path to turning your empty board into a place where members find it impossible to keep up with the new topics, members and posts but there are things to avoid.

Not posting yourself

You most certainly cannot leave your forum to be run by others. Members will not appreciate the lack of an administrator/ owner. Only the owner can make the important decisions on the board: change of theme, changing domains, starting a contest. Members want to see an active admin on the forums. New forum administrators tend to either: participate in some topics and start a few OR start loads and always reply in topics. There are benefits to both approaches.

Too many staff members

Some forum owners feel that giving out staff positions on their board is an easy way to gain activity. While that can be true, the activity of your forum should depend on its regular members rather than staff. Having too many staff can make regular members feel that they have little say in the running of the forum as they are "outranked" by team members. Staff members are intimidating on larger boards. I am always weary, when registering on a big board, of offending staff members who I have no experience with. Lots of staff is also demotivating for the staff themselves. They don't have to do particularly much work so they become lazy.

A horrible theme

Forums don't need to look fantastic in order to be successful. Digitalpoint is a great example of a forum that had a boring green theme and became the largest webmaster forum in existence. People are put of by bad design but things don't have to be perfect. I have seen many forums with everything going for them except members and activity.

A free subdomain

It is not a hard an fast rule but I have found most forums that start on subdomains are not successful. The exception is where the owner of the forum has a number of offline friends who populate the board. The problem with a subdomain, such as .forumotion.com is that it shows that you are not particularly committed to the forum. Domains are easy and cheap to get these days. You can get them free with WebGurubb. This is an easy mistake to avoid.

Slow hosting

A number of people cannot afford to purchase webhosting. If you are one of them, please please PLEASE do not go with typical free hosting from businesses such as 000webhost. These free hosts are not going to handle message boards. You will notice regular downtimes and slow hosting. This will hurt activity on your forum. There are free options that will work well. IcyBoards is my personal recommendation. I reviewed their services for a blog earlier this year. They offer free Mybb hosting. The downside of a free forum host, such as IcyBoards, is that you are trapped in a walled garden and limited with what you can do to your forum. IcyBoards handles both big and small forums just fine. An alternative is a post-2 - host. If you pick a good post-2-host, then you will get quality (like paid) hosting for 10 or 20 posts per month. Finally there is sponsored hosting. A number of webhosts will not mind hosting a few free clients in return for a link back and a mention. For the host, this serves as an example site for speed and uptime.

Not listening

You should decide who your forum is designed for: yourself or your members. If it is the latter you need to take into consideration their suggestions and concerns. Always be open to having members PM you with matters of importance. You hope that only the most important matters will be dealt with via PM and the rest in the open forums.

Ban happy

You have all the power on your forum. With Great Power comes Great Responsibility. Banning can upset members. They may disagree with the reason for the ban. They may also really like the person you have just banned. Treat the ban hammer like any weapon of mass destruction- it is a last resort.

I have pet hates on forums, such as moderators telling members to "Get back on topic" or locking a topic when the discussion hasn't been completed. However, forums which do this aren't necessarily unsuccessful so I chose not to include them in this post.

I wish you all the very best with your forum. Stay committed, work hard and build relationships and you should find yourself the owner of a fantastic forum.

Advertisement Placeholder
This is so accurate :D
Most of the new admins tend to not post them self because they dont know what the important things are for having a good forum. Thanks for the guide :D this will be hopefully read by some newbies :D

Some good advice here for someone like me who will be starting a Forum soon!

I hate admins that are ban happy, they think they control the world!

An interesting points even perhaps I should follow :p

Regarding horrible themes, you can't please everyone either. Everyone has their own taste and it is hard to come by what people want. This theme here on WGBB is an example of that. The old theme was not getting updated by the developer and since we had already upgraded to the 1.2 version of xF software, we needed a new one. The posting was broken and so this theme was chosen. It was actually mentioned to.

We had people love the new theme, and we had people completely hate it. Nothing we can really do about it. Only thing I can think of is to install a few themes. Only problem with that is the more features and updates you make, you have to make to each theme. Can become a problem.

Slow sites is also not only good for visitors but good for SEO. Google seems to likes faster sites over slower ones. I have been working on WGBB ever since I got ownership over it. It has improved :D

An interesting points even perhaps I should follow :p

Regarding horrible themes, you can't please everyone either.

This.

I don't think you can ever get to a point where everyone is pleased with the layout and aesthetic aspects of a forum. My plan is to keep a really simple colour scheme and clear navigation throughout in order to make it easily accessible and therefore please the masses (hopefully)

Really nice article, I would share it on my forum but can't because I am also using a free domain for now :( But I will buy a TLD soon, or maybe I win it in the contest here. :)

Some good advice here for someone like me who will be starting a Forum soon!

I hate admins that are ban happy, they think they control the world!
I totally agree! Banning should be reserved for spammers and troublemakers who have the potential to drive away bona-fide members. Users shouldn't be banned because they disagree with the admin and/or their site team or mods, or for political reasons, such as being members of a rival forum, being friends with banned users, etc. Ultimately those who like to ban find themselves with very few members, and I know some good examples.

I don't know who has the mindset of being "ban-happy", it's like you make a forum and at the same time happily ban your members
makes no sense to me

Thanks for letting me know Sam, I might get one from them as well, but I am hoping I win it in the contest :)

Good luck!

I don't know who has the mindset of being "ban-happy", it's like you make a forum and at the same time happily ban your members
makes no sense to me

I think it most often occurs when admins disagree with members and ban them because they end up arguing.

This was a great read @Sam! I really enjoyed the first point. My biggest pet peeve. If you are going to start a forum at least make the time to post a few posts a day. It really does not take that long and it shows your members that you are there and watching to see what is going on.

May I post this on Forum Hour? Link back and credit will be given of course. :)

This was a great read @Sam! I really enjoyed the first point. My biggest pet peeve. If you are going to start a forum at least make the time to post a few posts a day. It really does not take that long and it shows your members that you are there and watching to see what is going on.

May I post this on Forum Hour? Link back and credit will be given of course. :)

Thank you Patrick.

Yes- you may post this on ForumHour if you link back to here and credit. :)

Great read. I think that every forum owner needs to understand what can make or break a site before they take the plunge as there are so many forums that are just unsuccessful.

I wish I would've seen this thread before I deleted my forum. I was using free hosting service for almost 2 years, I just got a domain about 2 months ago? I shut down my forum last month. But I definitely had too many staff members. I'm not interested in running a forum anymore but I like to see other themes/designs of other forums . I like the theme of this forum.

Great tips! I was once on a forum where more than half the members were staff members. It was very awkward to say the least.

Great tips! I was once on a forum where more than half the members were staff members. It was very awkward to say the least.
How was it awkward? I was on a forum where the staff would single out a member and have the whole site tease that certain member. I never understood why he stayed with them..

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds